Freeze Plugs or Core Plugs

Page 2 of 3

9 more than 50 I guess.
Roy

Not wise it starts to slush at minus 34. If you were realy that on the ball with this you would not be risking 50/50 at 40 below. The only thing that saved you is that when anti freeze freezes it goes through a slush stage first for a while and rated freeze temp and has to get a lot colder to get solid. I promise you that if you take a bucket of 50/50 and set it outside at 40 below, you will have a big slushy not liquid. Detriot has got to love you guys. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Never had any trouble at less than 50/50. Never had a slushy at 50/50 either. I had a slushy once with a vehicle with maybe a 20/80 mix at -20 after it sat overnight. It was a company truck that someone else was in charge of. I found out that the mix was light! It never froze hard enough to break anything, but I had to take my time starting the engine 4-5 times until the coolant would flow through the radiator. Trust me 50/50 will never be a problem or we would have had cracked farm equipment engine blocks every winter!
Sno, don't you find it strange that you are all alone on this, and many other points?? Can you find ONE reputable source to back you claims?? Please post the links!
--
PoorUB
'05 Ultra Classic

Mores Law.
"If more is good, too much is just right."
I suspect that your practice of running high anti-freeze concentrations relates directly to you using propane/butane in your vehicles air conditioning; you can't get either to work correctly because of your lacking skill set so you hack a repair using non-standardized (and in one case, illegal and dangerous) butcher techniques.
In the trade, you're known as a "Bubba."
Anybody else notice sno never replies directly to someone with the credentials to know what they are talking about? Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

yup we have noticed. that's the problem he wont answer the questions.
here ill ask again, and yes SnoMan I'm going to ask until you answer.
tell me where I can find a "Knock Sensor" on a 8.0L v10 (488) you claim or imply its there.
--
----------------------------
-Chris

The manufacturers use a 50-50 mizture based upon testing and chemical analysis. It has been proven to be the IDEAL ratio based upon millions of vehicles sold... nothing more.
By your analysis then, the anifreeze manufacturers should want to increase sales by recommending a higher ratio, right? Visit any antifreeze manufacturers website and you will see that the recommended ratio is 50-50. Are they not interested in profit.... please explain that dichotomy? In fact many offer a pre-mixed product in a 50-50 ratio? If they like every other business was only interested in profit would they not offer a 70-30 products as you suggest? Please explain that if you can.
THere was a time that detriot said 40/60 was best too. The

I don't understand the physics behind it? That's a hoot! I'm a degreed engineer with a major in EE and a minor in physics. I have been employed in the auto industry for over 35 years, the last 18 with DaimlerChrysler. I am ASE certified, I am a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers, I am on the advisory board of the local voactional college and a member of the advisory board for DaimlerChrysler training. Those are my credentials, what about yours?
Sorry to say this Snoman, but the others are right.... you are making yourself look like a fool... it's very sad... very sad, indeed.
Mike
Detriot loves lambs to can be easily lead to

"'tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt..." Mark Twain

No wonder you have this infatuation with heated leather seats.... <VBG>
Denny

smartass!
;^)
Mike

Do ya think ol' tender toosh has tested them yet? There have been some cool nights. <VBG>
Roy

Yes, ol' "tender tush" has tested them in prepartaion for winter... can't be too careful I always say..... at least when y'all are freezing your Yankee asses off mine will be nice and toasty... thank you very much!
;^)
Mike

I find that a stop at Taco Bell about 2am when plowing keeps mine nice and warm...
Denny

Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to make 2 taco bell stops and just drive an ATV backwards instead of that big truck with a plow?
Mac

Well, this is one Yankee who's ass will only be freezing for one more winter. After this one I'm on the beach. Except for visits of course.
Roy

Good move!
Mike

seats.... wouldn't want a lot of condensation forming.... Mac

Hmmmmm? Heated office seat? Now THERE's a thought........
;^)
Mike

OH GOD!!!!!!!!

Mike Simmons wrote:

Mike, not quite correct, check this URL...
http://www.shadowstuff.com / Look down the left side for "Technical stuff" then "Antifreeze and you"
You can see that 60% is the max for minus temps. Admittedly 70% is not far from it, but since we are tossing around facts, I just wanted to get your story absolutely straight for you.
Dave

Dave:
Thanks for the reply! It would seem that the folks at Prestone have a bit of disagreement with your 60% figure.
See:
http://www.prestone.com/carcare/faq.php#q3
also, the folks at Peak also indicate that 70% is the max ratio for freeze protection, See:
http://www.peakantifreeze.com/images/art_protection_chart.jpg
Hmmmmm.... curious.... I read your link and it appears this came from a study by the University of Alaska. Those folks should know above freeze-ups IMHO so there is a bit of controversy isn't there?
Suffice it to say that the max ratio is somewhere between 60-70% coolant/water and everyone should be happy except perhaps for Snoman who I suspect still maintains that pure antifreeze is OK.
Thanks for keeping me honest!
;^)
Mike