hot running Durango

I have a 2001 durango and am pulling a trailer and the truck is running really hot. The electric fan turns on as soon as you start it could this be the problem or is it something else? I noticed it runs
hotter when I drive at 65 or 70 than it does when I go 55 or 60 any suggestions please help. the durango is a 5.9 L The first time it did it it lost some coolant but I refilled it. when not pulling trailer it runs normal the fan seem to be a problem but dont know

Describe your trailer..... ie. 2005 Fleetwood Prowler Regal, 34' Double Slide, GVRW 10,800, hitch weight 1113 that the salesman said your durango could pull with no problem. Or maybe its a bit smaller....
--

FMB
(only one B in FMB)
"" wrote:
> > >I have a 2001 durango and am pulling a trailer and the truck > is > > running really hot. <snip> I noticed it runs > > hotter when I drive at 65 or 70 than it does when I go 55 or > 60 any > > suggestions please help. the durango is a 5.9 L > <snip> > > Describe your trailer..... ie. 2005 Fleetwood Prowler Regal, > 34' Double > Slide, GVRW 10,800, hitch weight 1113 that the salesman said > your durango > could pull with no problem. Or maybe its a bit smaller.... > -- > > FMB > (only one B in FMB)
2005 KZ Frontier 25 4700 lbs durango will pull 7200 lbs
lemoncoke wrote:

The electric fan comes on when one of two things happen. When the temp is too high. Or when the AC compressor is running. With the engine cold, turn off the AC, and make sure it's not set to defrost. Turn the engine on. If the fan comes on, then the computer probably thinks the engine is hot. Probably a bad sensor.
Get another temp gauge and install it temporarily. You want to make sure your factory gauge is reading correctly.
Have the coolant checked for products of combustion. It's the only reliable way to test for a blown head gasket or cracked head.
--
.boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!
"lemoncoke" wrote:

Not sure how big of trailer you are pulling but they can add a LOT of heat and strain to a tow vehical. (2 to 3x more heat generated) Electric fans simply do not have the capacity for this kind of cooling load. Some will debate this but the simply is not enough electrical power in you truck to power a electric fan powerfull enough to cool it when towing a big load on a hot day. You need a HD cooling system and a HD clutch fan (that can sound like a wind tunnel at times) to pull enough air through there to cool it properly on a hot day towing. Another thing that can agrevate it is relatively tall gears because the tranny has to work harder and use the converter more which also can generate a lot of heat. When you are pulling hard with a gas engine you want to be above 2600 rpm or so when it is working so you are well off of the stall in the converter and the tranny is making as little heat as possible for the load on it. (do not count of the converter clutch to save your butt here) Also you can add a aux tranny cooler because if properly installed , it can increase cooling effiecency while helping engine to run a bit cooler. A properly equipped tow vehical should keep its cool no matter what but most are not.
"SnoMan" wrote: > [quote:4e1b0b18b3="lemoncoke"]I have a 2001 durango and am > pulling a trailer and the truck is running really hot. The > electric fan turns on as soon as you start it could this be > the problem or is it something else? I noticed it runs hotter > when I drive at 65 or 70 than it does when I go 55 or 60 any > suggestions please help. the durango is a 5.9 L The first > time it did it it lost some coolant but I refilled it. when > not pulling trailer it runs normal the fan seem to be a > problem but dont know[/quote:4e1b0b18b3] > > Not sure how big of trailer you are pulling but they can add a > LOT of heat and strain to a tow vehical. (2 to 3x more heat > generated) Electric fans simply do not have the capacity for > this kind of cooling load. Some will debate this but the > simply is not enough electrical power in you truck to power a > electric fan powerfull enough to cool it when towing a big > load on a hot day. You need a HD cooling system and a HD > clutch fan (that can sound like a wind tunnel at times) to > pull enough air through there to cool it properly on a hot day > towing. Another thing that can agrevate it is relatively tall > gears because the tranny has to work harder and use the > converter more which also can generate a lot of heat. When you > are pulling hard with a gas engine you want to be above 2600 > rpm or so when it is working so you are well off of the stall > in the converter and the tranny is making as little heat as > possible for the load on it. (do not count of the converter > clutch to save your butt here) Also you can add a aux tranny > cooler because if properly installed , it can increase cooling > effiecency while helping engine to run a bit cooler. A > properly equipped tow vehical should keep its cool no matter > what but most are not.
I have a tranny cooler on it.
"lemoncoke" wrote:

Do you have it hooked up so that the fluid goes through raditor tank cooler first, then aux cooler then back to tranny. (this is the correct way to do it)
"SnoMan" wrote: > [quote:1a38145748="lemoncoke"]I have a tranny cooler on > it.[/quote:1a38145748] > > Do you have it hooked up so that the fluid goes through > raditor tank cooler first, then aux cooler then back to > tranny. (this is the correct way to do it)
not sure how it is hooked up had it done at a tranny shop.
"lemoncoke" wrote:

Kind easy to figure out. When car is warm. Feel the two lines from tranny near radiator carefully, one will be a lot hotter than the other. The hottest one should be hooked to raditor cooler and the coolest one should be hooked to return from aux cooler. If it is not, yor are losing cooling performance. Not enough to cure your problem but enough to help it some.