Daytime running lights for Durango

Can anybody tell me whether Chrysler's DRL module can be fitted on US-spec Durango 99? And if yes, where can I order the module online?

Alternatively I could try one of generic DRL modules available, but that would involve splicing and rewiring which I'd rather avoid...

TIA, Peter

Reply to
Peter

What's the reason for the DRL retrofit? Moving the vehicle to Canada? Or you're staying in the US but have been confused into thinking DRLs make you safer?

The wiring for the DRL module is not present on US models. The easiest and least problematic way of adding DRLs is with the module from

.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

"Daniel J. Stern" wrote: > On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Peter wrote: > > > Can anybody tell me whether Chrysler's DRL module can be > fitted on > > US-spec Durango 99? And if yes, where can I order the module > online? > > Alternatively I could try one of generic DRL modules > available, but that > > would involve splicing and rewiring which I'd rather > avoid... > > What's the reason for the DRL retrofit? Moving the vehicle to > Canada? Or > you're staying in the US but have been confused into thinking > DRLs make > you safer? > > The wiring for the DRL module is not present on US models. The > easiest and > least problematic way of adding DRLs is with the module from >

. > > DS

Thanks for posting this PETER. I?d also like to add DRL to our 97 Town and Country because we came from a 98 Chevy Blazer and we were so used to the lights being on already. When it was dark it would go to our normal headlights, not just driving lights.

Reply to
PIZ

Retrofitted full automatic light controls seldom work as well as factory systems, which themselves are not particularly dependable. Is it really so hard for you to turn on the lamps by yourself when it gets dark...?

Full automatic light controls are also not the same as Daytime Running Lights, which in turn are not the same as "driving lights".

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Well, guess I'm confused then because I believe DRLs _do_ make me (and others) safer.

Another reason might be that I'm not in US, and this particular country requires DRLs. ;)

OK, thanks for letting us know! Webelectric site states their kit uses turn signals as DRLs, but I need low beam headlights (yet another requirement). I'll dig around...

Cheers, Peter

Reply to
Peter

Chrysler in the country of interest might offer a retro fit kit. Give a call or write a letter to Chrysler in the country of interest. Also give a call or write to Webelectric.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

On 03/21/05 10:50 am Daniel J. Stern tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

I know that certain distant vehicles against certain backgrounds are far more clearly visible (at least to me) if they have full-power or dimmed headlights on (I'm not so sure about "parking lights"), so I expect that I have a similar visibility advantage when I use DRLs. I special-ordered the module that is standard on the Canadian 300Ms and plugged it into my US-market one, a 10-minute job for which the dealer estimated 2 hours labor.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Which particular country? Different countries have different DRL requirements, and there are many, many different ways to implement each type of DRL.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

You're right. Regs state that DRLs must be white, and must not exceed 800 candles in total. Hence I suppose I could use either low beam or fog lights as DRL, probably at reduced intensity.

Country is Latvia btw... European Union regs apply here.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

OK, then, the Canadian module will not work, because it runs the high beam headlamps (intensity between 3,000 and 7,000 candela -- MANY times the EU/ECE R87 800cd maximum for daytime running lights.)

It is basically impossible to get the low beams or fog lamps down to 800cd without causing the color to be orange and the bulbs to blacken and fail quickly. Most countries that adhere to ECE R48 and require DRLs permit full-intensity low beam headlamps as DRLs, but some of them do not, so check Latvia's code. My information (as of 2/05) is that Latvia permits full-intensity low beams as DRLs. It's not difficult to hardwire the headlamps to come on with the ignition. Fog lamps are NOT legal as DRLs in Latvia, at any intensity (as of 12/04).

You may have even bigger issues to deal with (US headlamps that do not even come close to complying with ECE R112 for headlamp beams, rear lamps that do not comply with ECE R6 requiring amber rear turn signals, front position lamps that do not comply with ECE R7 requiring white and not amber, etc.) ECE-compliant front and rear lighting equipment for the Durango does exist in South America. VERY difficult to obtain if you're not there!

You may well find that the easiest way to have DRLs is to put on a set of the Hella add-on DRLs, which are homologated to ECE R87 and therefore legal in all countries that adhere to ECE regulations. They make two different kinds. These:

http://217.115.144.43/daytime-running-lights/nachruestung_b.jsp and these:

http://217.115.144.43/daytime-running-lights/nachruestung.jsp DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Geez, you DO know your stuff! That's right, low beams are fine as DRLs. I sorta wanted to run them at 75% or so in order to reduce wear&tear on lamps & alternator.

In fact I didn't know foggies are not legal as DRL... you know more than I do ;)

This is not really an issue since my Durango is pre-2001, and lamps do not have to be Euro certified. US beams are OK here, they even have a separate clause in inspection regs stating so. All I need to do is to convert front markers from amber to white, and modify turn signals (complete on/off cycle instead of varying intensity, and ambers in tail). Total expense of about

150$...

Now, for 2001 and newer lights are major PITA as you've pointed out... as are EU certification requirements. Frankly I think this is total nonsense, and regs are made up specifically to protect EU market. Generally Euro certification adds up to ~4000$ making all imports more expensive.

Thanks! These look good, but I suspect will be ghastly expensive. Will check around...

Thanks again, you've been major help!

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Careful here -- if you reduce the lamps' operating voltage by 25%, you will be increasing one kind of wear and tear (bulb blackening) while reducing another (plain old life usage). Net gain is negligible.

That's fortunate for you from a logistical standpoint, but US beams are ugly when you try to drive with them after dark.

You can drill the headlamp or fog lamp reflector and install a grommet with W5W or T4W "city light" bulb. The front fogs are useless as fog lamps, so you could even just modify them to serve as your front position lamps.

E-mail me offline if you want details on a slick and clean way of having amber rear blinkers *and* reversing lamps in the present housing, without having to add a new reversing lamp (though you may still have to add a rear fog lamp, and perhaps side blinkers.)

There are valid safety reasons to require EU lighting devices. Most of them are very much superior to US lighting devices.

Naw, they're very affordable. I have a set on my shelf waiting to install on my '89 Dodge Ram.

Glad to help.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Whoops, forgot to give you directions for contacting me offline. Do it via

.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Hmmm... didn't know that. Guess I'll just have to go thru electric diagrams and rewire low beam so it turns on with ignition.

Euro beams are definitely better. My other vehicle is US-spec Isuzu Trooper, and I've replaced original bulbs with hi-intensity ones (same wattage). It's OK now, but still Euros are better.

I was gonna drill corner of the turn signal (it's not used anyways!), and install white bulb there.

I agree, and requirement to have Euro lighting patterns is fine, but why do lamps have to be Euro certified? Headlight beam patterns are easily tested, and you don't really need a special equipment to tell the color/location of turn signal/marker/brake lights. Eurocracy at work... :-|

Peter

Reply to
Peter

That works -- or you can use that location for the side blinker.

That's just it: They aren't so easy to test as you might think. That said, there exist some US headlamp beam patterns that aren't Euro type approved with an (E) mark, but which are functionally almost identical from a seeing/glare perspective, and you're right, there'd be no technical reason for barring these. But there might be a logistical one: You and I understand the difference between the junk US beams on your Durango and the "almost Euro" US beams on, say, a US-market Audi, but how do you make the average vehicle inspector mechanic understand?

True, but intensities and angles of illumination are different for US/Euro.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern