PING: All you AC/HVAC experts

Page 4 of 4

Probably the same thing that would have happened to us in CA when the Governator flushes the state down the toilet??
Not sure what would happen, or if they could afford to... we have title insurance and all but who knows if the government is involved.. Don't give Billary any ideas...
My guess is that the last thing they would want to do is effect the cash flow from gringos here... a couple of years ago, the US dollar spent on homes and tourism became the number one cash generator, over beer, which supported large parts of Baja for years.. Probably have a revolt from the thousands of nationals that make relatively big bucks in all the gringo areas...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Mexican health plans available for a little over $300 a month.. $500 deductible and includes air med lift, cancer, etc..
We were specifically told that getting drunk and falling off an ATV isn't covered, so I guess it's a common injury.. lol
Building costs are rising, but still under $100 a sf... We paid about $65...
A cold beer in a cantina is under $2...
Our average power bill so far including my shop is about $150 a month..
Unless we have a lot of company, a 2,400 gallon cistern of water lasts a bit over 6 weeks, costs $600 pesos/$58 US to fill..
A cold beer in a cantina is under $2...
Property taxes are based on land only and run about $800 a year for 2 lots..
Unleaded gas without all the CA crap in it is about $2.25 a gallon..
A cold beer in a cantina is under $2...
We went to a very nice place in town the other night and had dinner... 5 people, dinner/drinks/tip was less than $50 US...
Cost of living is very low here and the weather is awesome... We were going to wait a few more years and have my wife retire at 50.. figured out that the difference in cost of living between here and CA was just about what her take home pay was, so she retired at 48.. AWESOME!
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Sounds like it is all working out for ya bro. Ain't it about time.
Roy

Yeah, it's working out even better than we expected..
Hard to believe that we've only been here full time for less than a year.... Seems like we've been here forever, it's so natural..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Down in AZ? I dunno... seems a little on the low-side to me. I had a 3-ton unit in a 900 sq.ft. ranch, all 8ft. ceilings, with approximately the same insulation... not a lot of glass, zero southern exposure, here in NJ - and it was fine.
To compare... my shop is approx. 2000 sq.ft., 14' ceilings... R-19 in the walls, R-30 in the ceilings... white roof, light-colored exterior (really makes a difference in the heat gain), and insulated doors (only 1 window in the place). It's got a 5-ton unit. That's probably a little much, but we did it for the quick recovery time when a bay gets opened and a vehicle moved in/out. I think, when I did the initial calculations, I came up with a total heat gain of approx. 36,000 BTU's (3 tons).
But - I'm certainly no expert... that's why I'd rely on the calculations instead :)

Holy smokes! 3 ton in 900 sq/ft?? Are you living in a green house, all windows? I am running a 1-1/2 ton in my 900+ sq/ft ranch and it is a bit too large. House was built in '52 poor insulation. I have a 1-1/2 ton AC in the shop too, it is a tad over 900 sq/ft too, 9 foot ceilings, and it is too large too, insulated about the same as the house! I would agree with the calc on the shop, but probably would have stopped at 4 tons instead of 5 ton. Once the building is cooled down, even when you open a garage door it don't take long to cool it back down with a slightly oversized unit. Greg

Larry... I can't give you specs, but I found that in a high humidity place like we (and you) live in, the builder could have put in smaller units..
We keep the setting pretty high for most folks, 29 or 30C or about 84 or 86F... The mini split in the shop is 2 ton and I flip it on in the morning when the shop is maybe 90.... It gets the room down to 86 so fast that the AC isn't running long enough to dry the air...
Most folks that don't plan of hanging meat in their living room prefer a smaller unit that runs more often... might be more efficient that way, too, dunno..
NOTE: Use of the "dry" cycle on the AC isn't recommended unless you rent and the landlord pays the utilities... AFAIK, ours is running both the heat and AC to dry the air and the electric meter spins really fast.. :(