Whining Noise - 2006 Dakota

Hey group I have a 2006 Dodge Dakota that has a really bad whining noise. Started at about 5,000 miles and has gotten increasingly louder over time. Seems to be coming from the back, but not sure. High pitched
at highway speeds, and become kind of a groan at 10 to 20 mph. I am pretty sure it is not the tires. Friend said it could be a bearing that is bad. Anyone else experience this or have an idea if this is a common problem?

My idea is take it to the dealer while it's in warranty:) Could be a lot of things, common problem is bearings in the rear axle.
Al

Yes sounds like rearend. Dodge used to make a cood sturdy rear axle but these days they seem to have problems with preload settings and early bearing failure. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 19:19:50 +0000, SnoMan wrote:

while this was true with the corporate axles I'm not so sure that they are still using those axles in the Dakota now. the best advice was to take it to the dealer. it may very well be the rear but may not.
i would take it to a dealer and have it checked. its under warr what's it going to cost you???
Chris
05 CTD
Chris Thompson wrote:

Yup, that was the problem. Bearing failure in the rearend. What really concerns me is that the problem started at 5,000 miles! Bearings failing at only 5,000? We let it go for sometime because we thought it was just tire whine, but as it got louder we knew it was not the tires. They replaced the bad parts now and it is back to running as quiet as when it was new. My question is is this going to continue to happen every 5,000 to 10,000 miles or are they using more sturdy replacement parts?

Generally this happens because preload is set wrong from factory and it burns bearing up in time. I STRONGLY suggest that you change the rear axle lube after about 500 to 1000 miles after its repair and every 15 to 25K afterwards ( the lower number if you tow). There is no filter back there and oil gets dirty with time and it is important to remove break in grit. In close to 40 years of driving I have never had a rear end fail (except in drag racing many years ago) but then I do change oil in them based on usage and I do change it in new vehicle after 500 to 1000 miles and I do not tow anything either until this first lube change. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com