fiat marea weekend HLX 2.0 20V 1998 model

ok guys please help me, iv'e just bought this car and i love it,,, very quick, and comfortable... the problems i have are:- i only have the burgundy and remote keys... the remote key doesn't seem to be working even after changing batteries... the light still not come on when i pres button... do i need a new key??? secondly i have a puddle on the passenger footwell after a heavy rain.. any ideas?? thirdly, a slight squeek coming from either driver side front or rear wheels. except when i brake, it stops.... the rear nearside window doesn't operate, it buzzes, but nothing happens... other than these niggles i truly think the car is great.. i would just like to sort these probs out, so i can enjoy my MAREA experience........... i appreciate any inof you could put my way... P.S. it is in really great cond for it's age,, and only 93,000 miles on it... thanx ANDY

Reply to
a514ter

"a514ter" wrote in news:73f2d04eb659c@uwe:

I love them 20Vs vroooom for grown ups.

I have had my saloon for 3 years or more and have put 60,000 miles of local taxi work on it without a problem,

A puddle of condensation often appears on the left footwell when you run the aircon. If it's not the AC then it might have something to do with deluge weathewr we have had lately.

The brake squeak is also common mine did it for a while but stopped on it's own. The rear callipers are a bit fussy and often play up a little, having the rear pads changed will almost certainly cure it.

The remote locking issue is a common problem, originaly a paper tag came with the keys having a 4 digit number on it, most likely lost many years ago. If you don't have the 4 digit number the Fiat agents maybe able to supply it from your VIN number, if they haven't deleted it from the database. This will cost 10 or 15 quid to get the number.

There is a procedure for reactivating the remote locking and alarm detailed in the Fiat handbook, but without the 4 digit number you have no chance. You will also find a keyswitch inside the main fusebox that may have been used to disable the remote locking/alarm but again it is unkikely you will have the key and most probable it has been switched of for a reason.

If you look around on ebay there is a kit to add remote locking to almost any car with central locking, this is often a cheaper and more sensible way to procede if you realy want remote locking on your car. These kits sell for about 25 quid.

The window is likely just stuck thru lack of use, have an assistant work the switch while you manhandle the glass up and down a few times, you'll probably get it working even if sluggish.

It sounds like you have a good motor and I'm sure you never paid a huge amount of money for it. That'e the Beauty of Mareas, they are a lot of car for the money. Just a few things tho to make you think.

A cam belt change will cost a fortune, between 4 and 12 hundred pounds!!! if you are lucky yours was done already at the 72k mark, if not don't worry about it cause a secondhand engine is cheaper than the service.

Bottom balljoints are a weak spot on these cars and fairly costly to replace, It spoils the handling of the car altogether if the balljoints are worn and will fail an MOT. Also drop links are a bit iffy and often knock on uneven roads.

Rust is another problem, the floorpan on some of these early mareas is prone to rusting, especialy around the rear, get under the car and look for rusty bits before they turn into holes, a bit of wire brushing and underseal could save the car from an early grave.

Brake pipes also are worth saving with a bit of wire brushing and hammerite, replacement is very costly if they rot thru and it's well worth making sure they don't.

Have fun...

Reply to
Jolly