383 spark plug wire question

I've made several posts lately about the 383 stroker chevy engine I just had installed in my Camaro. Thanks to everyone who has given me advice. The engine has been running
well, I have about 600 miles on it since it was built. I noticed a spark coming from one of the ignition wires arcing to the header, turns out the wire was cracked. I just installed a set of Accel header plugs, to give a little more clearance between the plug boot and the header, but my question is, what kind of ignition wires should I buy? Is it worthwhile to buy the more expensive 8.5 or 9mm wires? I don't mind spending the extra money if it would help the performance of this engine.
Happy cruising,
Terry
PS Would it be worth the $$$ to put in a high performance ignition system?

had
Those Accell plugs are trash. I wouldn't run them again if you paid me. They may be short and fit the headers better but they will die behind just about any ignition. I used to run a complete MSD ignition. I went back to a stock HEI and I couldn't be happier. Bosch platinums with a stock ignition last a good while. Accell plugs and an aftermarket ignition will last about a month if you're lucky.
To answer your question about the larger wires, you don't need them. Get a set of good replacement wires and call it a day. Route them away from your headers as best you can. If you keep frying them, buy a set of Taylor wires that are rated for higher heat.
-- Mr. Floppy
Yeah I was thinking about looking for Bosch spark plugs-- I'll keep an eye on these Accel plugs and see how long they last. -- Thanks, Terry

expensive
system?
your
wires
Accell header plugs were designed for those who use them for one pass, to take plug readings.
To re-jet the carb(s) to tune the car for every last 100th and mph they can get. Most definitely not a street plug!
Refinish King

just
running
the
just
will
Get
Hmm, that's interesting...so far these plugs have been working ok. Does anyone know of any other company that makes a good quality header plug?

header
this
e.
back

Champoin. The Gold Truck plugs are header plugs. Charles
No one that I know of:
But would you run regular Champions, Copper Plus or Platinum?
The header plugs are the basic Champions made for Accel.
Refinish King

of
kind
behind
ignition
from
Taylor
i just bought a set of the accel header plugs for an engine i just built (327 bored .030, 520 lift custom ground solid cam, eagle rods and crank, 11.5:1 compression, weiand team-g intake, barry grant made holley carb 650 cfm mech secondaries) about 510hp... (well, that's what dyno 2000 is saying so far, but it goes on a real engine dyno in 2 weeks to be set up and tuned) - it has cutom made headers and they are tight to the plugs and the best fitting wires i could get were taylor pros (universal/custom) with 90 degree boots - put plug boot heat shielding on them also and the header plugs make it just that little bit better of a fit - have yet to try them out but will let you all know my results - will be running a holley strip annihilator system with crank trigger ignition.
if the plugs pack it in rather quickly, will be going back to what i use to run when i raced.... ac delco plugs, never had any probs with those.
NortH

engine
one
of
ignition
paid
went
stock
them.
I also had AC Delco plugs in this 383 when I first had it rebuilt, but they were so long, the spark plug boots wouldn't go on a couple of them... I think I'm going to run these Accel plugs this summer, put on a few thousand miles, then pull them & see how they hold up...thanks for the input. Terry M.

been
Accel
what
more
away

had
A good set of Accel 8.8 Veriboot spark plug wires is the answer. They come in all standard wire core types. Along with Accel's heat sleaves. This will help prevent header burn thru.
As long as you have a good Distributor cap with brass contacts, and a rotor with a good contact, A good after market coil & HEI module should be all you need for the street.
Charles
Ijust tried a set of MSD wires and I couldn't be happier with them. They are much nicer than the Accel wires they replaced. As for the plugs, I have used the Accel plugs in the past with good results, but I never used the header plugs. Accel plugs used to be made by Nippon Denso, and they were nice pieces.

had
I did decide to go with the Accel header plugs with my 383-- so far, so good. I've had other engine problems, but not related to ignition--
Terry

expensive
system?