Computer code

Hi
I own a Firebird 95 3.8L and I would like to get the errorcode from the computer. Is there a way to get those using a jumper or something like that without buying an external device? If not, what would be the
appropriate device? The owner manual says there is two type of computer but I don't know wich one I have.
Thanks
Pascal Boivin wrote:

Try this: http://autorepair.about.com/library/bl239lib.htm

It would depend on the kind of connector you have for reading codes. if it is a 12 pin you can do it without the machine by making a connection and reading the flashing "service engine" if it is a 16 pin you will need an OBD II or comparable. If you have a local tech school or community college you could contact their auto department and see if they would read the codes for you. I have done this and they usually do not mind because it gives them another teaching opportunity and does not take long.
If you need more info to identify the connectors, please post again or contact me directly.

This doesn't work on the V8, you have to use a code scanner or Laptop with lead. '95 Z28's are OBD1 but '96 changed to OBD2 so the scanners might be different. I don't know about the V6.
I bought TTS Datamaster software and they supply a cable. You can make/buy a cable search for AKM cables IIRC. I Also use TunerCat software for tuning. LT1 Edit is also available. There are also numerous Websites & Forums to ask on: LT1tech.com etc do some searching !
--
Terminal_Crazy

Mitch - 1995 Z28 LT1 M6 terminal snipped-for-privacy@sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk
Pascal Boivin wrote:

I bought this car 3 weeks ago and the engine stall after about 30 minutes. I turn the ignition key and it start again. I put a new fuel tank and fuel pump (the price is crazy for that!) because the old one was very rusty. After 2 days of testing at a GM dealer, they found nothing (it never stop!). The only code they see in the memory was "Engine misfire" so I'll look at the computer when the problem is active on the road.
Thanks everyone for your replies!