computer code question

1999 Mustang V6 Check Engine light is on... Code says "gross leak" says "check gas cap" make sure it's on tight, and a few other dumb things. Not the gas cap... Anyone else ever have this problem and if so what was the fix ???
Reply to
hipcheck

"a few other dumb things...". Without knowing the code, I would have to guess that the evaporative emissions system is leaking and I would also guess that the diagnostic routine you are referring to is trying to help you fix the problem. This is likely close to the diagnostic procedure that we would use in the shop (usually after someone has flubbed doing the "dumb things").

At least have the gas cap tested, these can leak. After that, I would follow the pin point test to resolve the problem.

Jim Warman