most effective mods for a 1987 trans am

Hey. I just bought a 1987 Trans Am with a 305 and I was wondering what is the most cost-effective to increase horsepower and torque. I don't want to spend too much money but I really want to make this thing
faster.

The two are practically mutually exclusive. The most cost-effective way? Nitrous.
On 29 May 2004 21:06:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (teabagphil) wrote:

Though I'd say that Bruce is correct in his assessment, I'd go with headers, exhaust, and a more agressive cam. I think you could make these mods for $700 or less.
(teabagphil)

I just thought of another one. A higher gear ratio.
As an owner of an 89 T/A with a 305, if you want a cost-effective increase, you should just buy a 350 and drop it in. If it's TBI, you're screwed. It's already slow as a turtle. If you have TPI, get the 350 with heads and transfer everything you can from the 305 to the 350. You'll need larger injectors, a new prom and a couple other things and you'll be ready to go.
If you don't believe me, I've got a supercharger, headers, exhaust, siamesed intake, runners, plenum, 52mm throttle body, and soon to have an accel DFI installed, not to mention all the little things I've done, replaced, installed. If you want to just have power, go with nitrous. If you want to have bragging rights, by all means, install every bolt on known to man.
-Bruce