1987 Firebird Trans Am GTA Fuel Injected

Greetings:

I recently acquired an '87 GTA-- it needs a tuck here and there.

To get my DMV paperwork, I need to pass an inspection, which has failed in the past due to two brake lights that are out. I replaced the bulb with type 2057 (dual element), but only the tail lights work (dimmer element).

Upon inspecting the sockets, I have found that every socket except one on the left (middle socket out of three) and one on the right (right-most one of three) have two contacts. The two mentioned above only have one contact. Not knowing a whole lot about DC electronics, this doesn't seem right to me since the bulbs have two contacts at the base. A front signal light (a 2057 bulb, right front) was burned out, but I have not since tested the non-functioning rear brake lights with

2057 bulbs since replacing it. A friend suggested the 1156 bulb (single element, dual bayonet) for the rear sockets with single contacts, but these come on bright only when parking lights are on.

Do I need to replace the rear sockets that have only one contact, or is this the correct configuration. Anyone have any ideas on this? I'm stumped!

Thanks in advance and happy motoring, Ben

Reply to
Ben D.