R4 Compressor pulley died.. smokin' something awful.

So I was driving around and started smelling something through the vents. I thought maybe someone was re-tarring their roof and dind't think anything of it until it continued to smell and I came to the conclusion that it had to be my car. Well, it was. The compressor was smoking and the wiring to engage the clutch was a bit fried. So here's my question. I don't really want to get my A/C fixed in the middle of winter 1, because I don't need it and 2, because I won't be able to acertain if they've really fixed it or not. So my plan is to pull the clutch and replace the pulley either with a junkyard pulley or to purchase one from the local parts store.

So... What am I getting myself into? Anyone want to give me an idea on how hard it is to do and if there's anything I need to look out for? I know there are pullers for the clutch and the pulley bearing. I'm thinking the pulley bearing went and took the clutch with it.

1989 T/A Supercharged 305 TPI

Thanks in advance.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Those compressors are, great anchors. Really. They sucked from day one. Get yourself a new one, and do NOT convert the thing over to 134a....use a drop in R12 replacement, or find someone that is licenced to handle R12 and has some floating around. You will want to just have whatever is in the system recovered, since venting is illegal, and you REALLY dont want a neighbor with a cam catching you spouting the can....get a new compressor and a new dryer assembly and when you have it on, pull a vac, check for leaks, and have it recharged.

Reply to
CBhvac

CB,

Yeah, I know they suck, I've replaced this one several times, I want to say that the compressor itself is still good but I have no way of telling. Right now I just want the pulley to stop burning the clutch. I plan on doing what you said, just didn't mention it in my original post.

I assume you're saying that it'd be easier to just replace the compressor instead of messing with the clutch and pulley?

What was the replacement you've always mentioned? R22? or R49827983b? I forgot already.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Damn right. By a long shot. What...2 bolts hold it on...and the hoses are held in place with one bolt.....get it pulled down and you have it off in 10 minutes. It takes that long to get the pully puller in right.

Lord..not R22..thats for home units...wanna see a compressor lock in about

15 seconds due to high head? Use that..LOL!

R416a..AKA FR12. It is NOT the same as Hotshot, or FreeZone...(yea...thats what they call that crap) but it is in my 92, and its been fine since the conversion.

Reply to
CBhvac