Looking for R4

Any one know the location of the white original R4 Lark?

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

I remember reading an article fifteen years ago about the only production 64 R4 Lark and the car was white. If there was another one or a red one then the article was mistaken.

The one in Australia I have had the opportunity to purchase twice before. Once at $6k and then at $15k now twenty years later the price has gone up some what. But if it's the same one it has racing history.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

I will look into the car I saw in the article and find out if I am indeed color blind.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

The car was white, here is a link to a scan of the story from the 1963 October Car Life magazine:

Dan White

Reply to
Dan White

Oops I meant red. Don't know what I was thinking while typing.

Reply to
Dan White

Reply to
John Poulos

Interesting that the R-4 they used was red. My museum R-4 is blue. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

This could not have been the article I read, although I have read that before, because Studebaker was referred to in the past tense. The article mentioned that it was the only R4 to be ordered by a customer, not for a magazine test drive, and the article was a few years after Studebaker had stopped production. Possible even as late as the 80's.

I did get a hold of my brother and he has that same article and we went over it last week and confirmed that it was not the same article I had read.

The search continues.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

Wiz, there was an "R4 equipped" WHITE Daytona Convertible that Andy Granatelli built to run at Bonneville. Maybe that is the car you read about?

Wizard of Oz wrote:

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

I don't think so. The car was a hardtop. I am probably just getting us all to dig around for no good reason. With all the things that have happened to me and all I have done in the past it's a wonder I can remember my own name.

My brother said that the article with the red R4 was in a Brookland book and there was a white R2 article preceding it so I might have them confused but I remember the article I read mentioned the car was the only one delivered to a customer.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz