2000 Lincoln Navigator-electrical & rear end probs

I realize that this group if for Ford Explorers, but I have had good luck with previous problems thanks to the courtesy of the subscribers here, so here goes:

Have a trio of problems that just recently (last week) turned up on my 2000 Lincoln Navigator

1) Electrical - When the ignition is turned off and the key removed, the blower fan still runs, and the climate control temp display remains lit. Also, the airbag "idiot light" stays on when the key is on, and some type of warning beep goes off at irregular intervals.

2) Pulling to the right - The car has begun to constantly pull to the right when driving (at all speeds on all roads). The tires are in good shape with plenty of tread and apparently even wear. I had the front brake pads and rotors replaced about 5k miles ago, and they are apparently working just fine.

3) "Clunking" in passing gear - Under heavy acceleration, there is an irregular clunking or thumping that appears to be coming from the rear portion of the car. There is no noise like this under normal acceleration, idling, etc.

Any help with any of these problems would be appreciated. I will be taking this in to the mechanic (hopefully this week), but I like to go in as well informed as possible. Plus, if any of these are a relatively easy fix, I would not mind saving a few $$$ and doing it myself.

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim Gieszelmann

The climate control problem is likely a shorted relay ("manuals" are still out in the holiday trailer and I am some lazy right now).

ABS light is something I wouldn't mess with without so prior familiarity...... the culprit is "usually" a broken wire at a seatbelt pretensioner - not sure of the pricing but much cheaper than a bag module. If you decide to do something yourself, just remember that these are a pyro-technic device. I've set several of them off as a fire department instructor.... the noise is very loud and they get very hot and they move very fast.

The noise in the back is going to be an odd one.... we start by inspecting the affected area. Jack storage, shocks, etc....

The pull...... I haven't seen a 2 wheel drive Navelgazer yet so I can't comment there. IIRC, the 4WD Navelgazer has a monobeam front axle.... surprisingly, caster settings seem to have little effect on pulling characteristics. Indeed, I would have the front end checked..... in our area, 120,000 kms is a near guarranty of needing balljoints and a spindle service (again, I'm talking 4X4). An alignment to ensure that the angles are where they need to be but you will likely need a tire rotation to ultimately cure the problem.

Jim Warman