Re: Power lose while driving, oh dear!

Could be a fuel filter issue, but I had one that was very plugged, but still the engine ran fine.

The fuel line connection release tool is available as a set of collars at NAPA stores, and most auto parts stores. Be sure to depressurize the fuel sysetms before disconnecting the fuel lines, and a fair amout of fuel will drain out once the connections are undone, so use caution and safety.

Any Check Engine Light (CEL) displayed?

I have a 94 Ford Explorer EFI V6, automatic, 4x4 with ~160K miles on > it. Runs great at first, about 15 min. later loses power and sputters. > Will still drive at 20-30mph with engine sputtering. Already changed > air filter, spark plugs and wires. Still no change. Was unable to > change the fuel filter (need special tool?!). Any Ford gurus out there > that might have an idea on how solve this mystery ailment? Thanks
Reply to
rakster

Yes, the Check Engine Light is on, only problem is that light has been on for the last year and a half. I had it checked at the Ford shop and they said it was for something that needed/could be replaced every so many miles. They also said it was not necessary, so I did not have it done. Now the light is always on and not for sure an indication of a new problem.

Will get a fule line connection release tool soon and give that a try.

Thanks, will keep you informed on how it goes.

Reply to
Bleuorchid

Here-in lies a very common problem..... the MIL is on for a a long time and there are no obvious drivability problems (why on earth would we do this to ourselves???). Now, we have a drivability problem... can't have anything to do with the MIL, right? After all, it's been on for a long time......

The MIL will set when there is a problem affecting emissions..... something that affects emissions will usually affect fuel mileage. Sorry if it sounds like I'm dumping on you but your Ford store needs a good, solid smack upside the wee-wee. If something is bad enough to set the MIL, we should address it....... especially with the current price on gasoline.... and especially since we are all sharing the same air.

The only way to be sure of a fix for your 'current' problem is to also address the original problem. That light is one of the very few ways your car has of telling you it's hurtin'...... you need to listen a little closer. I'd start with a code scan (jot the results down, clear them and road test and scan again.

Good luck.

Jim Warman