How high is Hi-Octane

I have a 1997 Limited with the OHV V6 here in Manila, Philippines. The local Ford dealer advised me to just ran the thing on ordinary unleaded which is 93 RON. I sometimes fill up with 95 RON or even the pricier 97 RON and do notice that it does provide a significantly stronger 'kick'.

Then I read here that you guys across the Pacific are using 87 octane fuel as the recommended grade. Am I missing something here? I can't buy anything lower than 93 octane. Even the local E10 is at 95.

I guess its a bit pointless to ask after running thing for 10 years but I do want to avoid that inevitable overhaul for as long as possible.

Reply to
boomouse

There are several different methods used in the world for octane ratings. In the USA and Canada a different scale is used than most of the world. This is 4 to 5 points lower than the scale used in the Philippines. Hence USA and Canada octane ratings are 4-5 points lower than the scale used in the Philippines. So 87 octane in the USA would be called 93-94 octane in the Philippines for the same gasoline.

Reply to
Bob