89 octane in triton 5.4?

Hello group, I'm thinking about buying a 2000 F-150 with the triton 5.4 engine. It has 29,200 miles on the odometer. The owner has used mostly 89 octane gasoline. He says it idles rougher on 87 octane and doesn't perform as well. Is this something to be considered before I buy this truck? Thank you.

John---->who had his 1997 F-150 XLT extended cab 4X4 wonderful truck totalled by a drunk driver last week.

Reply to
J. Frapperly

I have a 2003 with the 5.4. I only run 87 octane in it and have had no problems in 10k miles.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

I know the 5.4 is made to run on 87 octane. A google newsgroup search led me to other Ford groups where they said higher octane gas wouldn't harm the triton engine. I didn't see the question ever addressed in alt.trucks.ford. Do you think a higher octane gas could have damaged the 5.4? Do you think there could be something wrong with the engine because of the owners claim that it runs better on 89 octane? Thanks, John

Reply to
aj

I know the 5.4 is made to run on 87 octane. A google newsgroup search led me to other Ford groups where they said higher octane gas wouldn't harm the triton engine. I didn't see the question ever addressed in alt.trucks.ford. Do you think a higher octane gas could have damaged the 5.4? Do you think there could be something wrong with the engine because of the owners claim that it runs better on 89 octane? Thanks, John

The 5.4 works great on 87 octane. There is no need, or benefit, to burn anything higher. You can run all the higher-octane gas you want without damage to the motor. The only resulting damage will be to your wallet.

Some people get a placebo effect by running what they think is better. Also, depending on location, states require oxygenated fuel for better emissions during the winter months. This oxygenated fuel might yield poorer performance and decreased mileage in some vehicles.

Rita

Reply to
Rita Ä Berkowitz

-------------- I know the 5.4 is made to run on 87 octane. A google newsgroup search led me to other Ford groups where they said higher octane gas wouldn't harm the triton engine. I didn't see the question ever addressed in alt.trucks.ford. Do you think a higher octane gas could have damaged the 5.4? Do you think there could be something wrong with the engine because of the owners claim that it runs better on 89 octane? Thanks, John

---------------- Running higher octane should not hurt the engine. Some people run higher octane gas and swear it is better for their engine. In most cases, they have merely bought into advertizing by oil companies.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

Nothing to consider. It was all in his head. Octane would have absolutely no effect on idle. EVEN if the engine did warrant higher octane fuel. Which it doesn't.

Reply to
Steve Barker