Stolen Keys

My wife's purse was stolen recently along with her keys and, of course, our address. We have receives two quotes to rekey the vehicle and reset the automatic doorlock codes. One was about $130 and the other was about $450. Both were Ford dealers. If any one has experience and can shed some light on this repair I would appreciate it.

Mike Mathews

Most of those cars used a PATS key (passive anti theft system) and there is a chip in the key itself which must be programed to your cars computer. I just did it and the dealer charged me 1/2 hr of labor plus key blanks which run around $35 each. If you have key fobs they need to programmed also but its very easy to do. You need three keys to avoid this problem in the future. The first bid was very reasonable. Do a google search for PATS keys for more info

Reply to
davidgmg