1995 Ford Taurus Overheats

My neices 1995 Taurus GL 3.8, V6 overheats. The cooling fan will not come on, even with the A/C on. The engine service light does not come. However, I noticed that if I disconnect the Coolant Temperature Sensor, the fan comes on and it stops overheating and of course the engine service light comes on. I checked the sensor with an ohmeter as the engine warms up and it decreased fm about 27Kohm to about 5kohm 0r less before I disconnected it, which seems like it's at least working, although I don't know exactly how low the resistance should be for it to cause the fan to come on. Also' I cannot find an electrical diagram of this particular cars circuit. If anyone out there Knows what the resistace should be to cause the fan to come on or other info to help I would surely appreciate it. Mac

Reply to
mac

doesnt the taurus have 2 sensors, one sends temp to the computer, one soley for the fan? maybe test or just replace the temp sensor(s)

Reply to
Petebert

Reply to
sleepdog

Not sure about the coolant temp sensor, but check the cooling fan relay as well. If you have no fan with A/C, sounds like it might be the relay.

Reply to
sleepdog

When I disconnect the sensor the fan comes on......thought that might eliminate the relay unless it has more than one relay. I really need a diagram that shows all of this but so far only found diagrams that only show a typical layout which is not near what we have here. Also a pictorial would hep a lot. Mac

Reply to
mac

where is the one to the fan located?? lmfao hurc ast

Reply to
formoco

thats normal

wash out rad beteween condensor and rad your age is about rite for this i bet your plugged air flow

fan controlled by the pcm and ect is the sensor that does the triick

hurc ast

Reply to
formoco

The cooling fan relay is in the CCRM above the top left (driver) side of the radiator, under the plactic shroud. I'm pretty sure the fan is controlled by the PCM. Pulling the ECT connector and engaging the fan tells you that the fan and relay are ok. This may be a 2 speed system, I don't remember. There would be a resistor block somewhere on the fan shroud,left side. You will need a wiring diagram.

Here's a link to a paper manual on Ebay:

the EVTM to go with it (the one you need):
And here's one for the CD. It contains all of the manuals for your car, and all other

1995 Ford lines. Much better deal:
Tom Adkins

> Thanks for the info, it's very helpful.......keep it comming! Mac

Reply to
mac

The trouble turned out to be a bad COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR! Thanks to all for the help. Mac

Reply to
mac