1996 Contour cranks but won't start

Hi,
We've got a '96 Contour 4-cyl 2.0L that won't start.
When we turn the key we hear the fuel pump do its thing for a couple seconds, and it cranks like normal (sounds/feels/smells normal), but
will not ever turn over.
I changed out all the spark plugs, charged the battery all the way up, and still no dice.
The odd part is that once the car is running, everything is great. It will push start just fine and then drive like nothing's wrong, but as soon as it's turned off it will not start again.
Anyone have any ideas?
TIA, a
On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 17:40:32 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

On Jan 8, 4:34 pm, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

According to my tester, yep, on all four cylinders.
On Jan 8, 4:34 pm, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

UPDATE: Ended up taking it to the dealer yesterday and of course they couldn't replicate the problem :). So they kept it overnight for a cold start this morning, and found a short circuit coming along one of the battery cables... New battery and another $50 worth of electrical wiring and we're back up and running like a charm!

Oh, and for future reference, the key giveaway was that the instrumentation and electricals went crazy when they tried to start it in the morning. Gauges went everywhere, wipers started up, etc.