1997 Probe GT knocking

1997 Probe GT V6 2.5L has a knocking sound in the engine. I've been told that it is the timing belt because the tensioner is faulty. Is it possible to tell if it is a faulty tensioner or maybe the timing belt is wore?
Also, I have owned this car for 2 years it has 165,000km on it and I have replaced 2 axles on either side already. Why am I chewing these things up? My driving habbits aren't that extreme.
Ricky
Could be the timing belt tensioner. The only way to tell if the tensioner or belt is faulty is remove and inspect. 165,000 miles is alot. and all you have replaced is the axles, you're doing good. The timing belt is to be replaced every 30,000 miles. Things wear out.

Your kidding right? every 30k? Is this a Probe thing? Normal intervals are 60-90-100k miles for timing belts

He either misspoke or just doesn't know what the interval is. AFAIK, it's 60k on every Probe engine with a timing belt. I negligently went 90k miles before changing the timing belt on my '90 PGT and got very lucky -- it didn't break! -- Jim