2000, E150....stalls - won't idle

I am not a real mechanical wizard and have no real automotive tools, just my ohmmeter from radio shack.
Anyhow, my van - suddenly one fine fall day - would not run without
'feathering' the gas pedal. I replaced the fuel filter ('bout 45k miles) and it ran fine - for about two weeks.
The old filter didn't seem to be clogged up, but perhaps slightly more restriction than the new one.
It will start and I can drive it if I keep the rpm's up with the gas pedal...hate to do that...
Anything of a basic nature I could check before taking it to the dealer? The only thing I can think of to do is replace/recheck the fuel filter again - which might indicate trash in the tank. Odd that the problem would correct after I replaced the filter the first time...
I would think that the filter would affect how it runs and not the idle...
Air filter is clean and that ain't the problem.....john
I should have added that no warning lights (i.e. 'service engine') display...
john

Sounds like a bad Idle Air Control valve. It's a common failure. Easy to replace (if you consider anything on a van easy). It's on the intake plenum.
CJ

Well, I went to the library and looked in Chilton's, also looked on Auto zones website...neither had any info on vans but I found the part on other engines and think I may be able to recognize it! That is, if I can get to it....as you said, nothing on a van is easy. It appears easy to test, however, wouldn't it's failure give me a warning light?
john

Well Scott, I pulled the engine shroud and believe it or not, it was pretty much right there staring me in the face. A lot more simple removal than I thought.
Everything I found to read said to test the resistance across the terminals to see if it would be between 7 and 10 ohms. It wasn't....no resistance at all, so I am assuming the part is bad and shall replace it in the morning. However, what's that little black knob on the side....?
john