1992 Olds Bravada 4.3 stalls and won't move

I have a 1992 Olds. Bravda 4.3 liter engine and I got it from some one else so I don't know the history of the car. When I got it, it ran fine however now that I have it at my house the car will start ok and runs like a top and forever but when I put the car in gear it dies when I try to move. I can't go anywhere with it, it kust dies. I don't know if it has crankshaft or camshaft position sensors or what but thanks everyone for all the help and ideas.

Roscoe

Reply to
Roscoe

brian

Thanks Brian I' on it, I'll give it a shot.

Reply to
Roscoe

Does it keep running when shifted if you keep the gas pedal pressed down to some degree? IOW, is there any way you can get this to move if you rev the engine enough? If so, you may just have an idle speed control issue.

I am not aware of your 700R4 variant transmission having a pattern failure related to the torque converter clutch staying locked as in the case of the other poster's Sunbird. Those transaxles were notorious for that problem for sure, but his and your trannies are very different animals.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Hi Comboverfish thanks for the help. See I can start the car up and run it for as long as I want to. I can rev the double hockey sticks out of the engine and it runs fine. The minute I get it the car and put it in gear and try to drive off I stall out and yes I've tried rev it up and take of and it still stalls.

I don't want to move the car if it won't run right because I'm alone and if you've worked on the cars you know their real big and I'll need help to push it around. If I had a idle speed control problem wouldn't the car at least move and then die when I come to a stop? where do I begin to try and diagnose the trouble?

Thanks Roscoe

Reply to
Roscoe

Does the vehicle jerk once violently when it stalls or does it just cut out calmly? How many seconds does it take for the engine to completely die once you select drive?

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

God, thanks for helping me with this, It jerks and dies and then I can start it right up. Scares the shit out of me, it's like it wants to go but bang I dead.

Reply to
Roscoe

The vehicle jerk once violently How many seconds Immediately

Reply to
Roscoe

The other poster mentioned a sticking torque converter clutch, I've already gone over this. It is doubtful that the TCC clutch solenoid could trap fluid for an extended period (say vehicle sits undisturbed for a few days) thus causing the converter to remain in lock position during a cold start. It does however seem as though you have some transmission related issue if there is a severe and immediate shock upon placing the shift lever in drive. Perhaps the torque converter friction plate is fused to the shell, or a clutch pack is stuck on that binds with the forward clutch.

You may need someone with experience to personally verify that the transmission is at fault so you can make an educated decision as to keeping/repairing the vehicle.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Hi Comboverfish thanks for the help. I've been doing some homework on idle speed control and I think your right. The reason it jerks so bad is because I put my foot on the gas to try and keep it running when I put it into reverse. Does this matter? It dies putting it into gear and idle anyway. I'm going with the idle control, but the car is beat up and I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. I'll patch it up but I may get rid of it if I've got to get transmission. I'm going to clean the control and let you know how it goes, again thanks for the help

Reply to
Roscoe

Hi Comboverfish thanks for the help. I've been doing some homework on idle speed control and I think your right. The reason it jerks so bad is because I put my foot on the gas to try and keep it running when I put it into reverse. Does this matter? It dies putting it into gear and idle anyway. I'm going with the idle control, but the car is beat up and I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. I'll patch it up but I may get rid of it if I've got to get transmission. I'm going to clean the control and let you know how it goes, again thanks for the help

Reply to
Roscoe

Once the throttle is opened (by your foot) then the ISC motor has little to no control over engine speed. Your engine is either dying due to a transmission issue or an engine load issue. It is unusual to have an engine stall immediately like you describe. Perhaps a signal wire somewhere is rubbing against ground when the powertrain shifts position in gear. Perhaps you have a cap/rotor, coil or coil wire breakdown that only surfaces under load.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

I got ya, don't know what I would do with out your help, Thanks for everything. I'll check it and let you know.

Roscoe

Reply to
Roscoe