99 Windstar

One of the vent vanes in the dashboard was dislodged by the previous owner and has fallen down into the ventilation system. It is blocking one of the
vacuum operated doors so that it cannot close. Won't be a problem until next winter when I need heat in the passenger cabin. I have tried to get into the ventilation system by removing the glove box and cannot get my hand into the system far enough to reach and recover the vane.
Any ideas as to how to get into the system with minimal damage and cost?
Thanks for any help.
Try using a bent coat hanger and fish it out. If that does not work, you can try some sticky tape on the end of something and get it that way. The only other option is to take it all apart.

Don't know where to start dismantling since it is all behind the dash. I'm guessing that the dash has to be removed. Do you know where to start?
Thanks for any help.

"Ford Driver" wrote:
A dashboard vent vane was dislodged and fell into the ventilation duct. It is blocking a vacuum operated door open. I cannot get my hand into the duct far enough to reach and recover the vane. Any ideas? _____________________________________________
Auto parts stores sell a $6.00 small parts retriever called a flexible claw. It is an 18-inch flexible housing with retractable claws at one end and an actuating plunger at the other end.
It is very useful for picking up small objects which accidentally fall into inaccessible places during auto repairs. It may flex enough to insert it into the vent and snake it downward until it grabs the loose vane.
Good luck.
Rodan.

[snipped]
enough to allow the claw to be inserted. I would take the system apart but don't know where to begin and don't feel comfortable removing the dash.
More ideas?
Thanks.
.... dashboard vent vane dislodged and fell into duct. _________________________________________
..... flexible claw parts retriever? Rodan. _________________________________________
.... dash vent opening too small to insert claw. _________________________________________
1.) It may be possible to remove the vane assembly from the dash to allow duct access for the claw.
2.) It may be possible to lift the broken vane with a strong vacuum cleaner applied to the vent or an air gun applied to some other vent.
3.) Sorry, no other ideas besides duct disassembly.
Good luck.
Rodan.

I guess a trip to the dealer may be in order to see if they will show me how to get it out.
Thanks for the suggestion.