Air Conditioner Concerns

The A/C in my 1995 Escort is usually great and cold. But lately it does not always come on right away. Could something be loose? Unfortunately, there have been A/C problems with some of our previous
cars. So even a hopefully minor problem can cause great concern. It has one of those buttons you press in. But that button does not always mean that it works immediately.
Sincerely, Darren Thornton
does the compressor clutch engage right away. If not, it is probably electrical. Check the CCRM - the diagram is on the net.
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 00:40:32 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Darren Thornton) wrote:

Today the A/C took a little while to come on. It was a hot day. We have been getting a lot of rain, but only thunder today. There was later some rattling. This happened mostly when using the accelerator. Then the car stopped. It quit when getting ready to make a turn. Things were hot under the hood, but the light never came on. After awhile, we made it home safely. (A relative came to check, and followed us back.) My dad thinks that this could be the alternator. This would put things in perspective.
Sincerely, Darren Thornton
There is one possible reason for the last problem. I had gotten some gas for the car earlier. There has been some controvesy in our area over reformulated gas. The local station also recently changed ownership.
Sincerely, Darren Thornton

Do you mean it doesnt get cold fast or no fan at all or what?
Sometimes it does nothing. There isn't even hot air coming out! Today it was cold right away. A short trip was fine. Later we tried going to Wal Mart, about 8 miles away. The car quit at a red light. It quit again when turning into Wal Mart. We stayed a little while, giving the car some time to cool down. The trip home had that rattling when on the gas again. It broke down less than a mile from our home. I walked home to get help. Then it wouldn't start at all! We took it to the mechanic. The car was very hot under the hood. But the hot light never came on. There was the smell of burning rubber, and barely visible smoke. It could be the alternator or fuel pump. I sure hope newer Fords have better owners' manuals! It can be a chore to find anything in ours!
Sincerely, Darren Thornton

Your car is overheating. It is not the alternator or fuel pump. It has nothing to do with the owners manual. Did you buy the car new?
I got the car used four years ago. Apparently it had been repossessed. Overall, it has been a great car. We did have problems with the heater core awhile back. The manual could use more detail. What is the best book to get concerning a 1995 Escort?
Sincerely, Darren Thornton

The factory shop manual.

The news from the garage was bad. The motor was shot. There was a hole in the radiator. How come the hot light never came on? (I can attest to that. It would also be a good idea if those lights were located where everyone can see them. But we all checked.) One goof was to put the water in the reservoir. But it would have leaked out of the radiator. I hope that we can figure out a way to get everything fixed. Most of the time, it is a great car.
Sincerely, Darren Thornton
In the future, remember, "if there isn't hot air coming from the heater, you possibly don't have coolant in the system." No coolant = destroyed engine. The "hot engine light" in many cars measures the temperature of the coolant. If there isn't any coolant to measure the temperature of, the light doesn't come on. Poor engineering I guess.
If the rest of the car is in good condition, try pricing a used or rebuilt engine.
Good luck.

Which is the best site to check on recalls?
Sincerely, Darren Thornton
Darren Thornton opined in 3275.bay.webtv.net:

ummm there's no recalls on holes in radiators on 9 year old cars.
you are supposed to look around your car every couple days.
I suggest you buy a honda or toyota.