Automatic Trannys - Vote Flush or No Flush?

Page 2 of 2
Chuck wrote:

Time to bite the bullet and rebuild/replace the tranny (and perhaps replace the radiator as well, sometimes you can't get all the schrapnel stuck in there from the failure flushed out and it causes the rebuild to fail) or donate the car to charity for a tax write off.

Hardly seems worth worrying about if it's just the first couple minutes.

I agree. I think its just a cold weather issue. Will give it a few more weeks. I just didn't want to damage it and took it in as soon as it started slipping.
Chuck wrote:

Did they drop the pan, clean it and change the filter after they were done? Does your trans have adjustments for the bands?
If you answers are "yes" and either "no" or "yes, and they were adjusted" then it's rebuild/replace time (or just live with it until it gets too bad.)
sorry to be the bearer of bad news...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

That's BS. It has a pan & filter similar to every Escort since 1991. The 3rd gen from 97 on is a pain to remove the pan because the crossmember is in the way and has to either be dropped or the engine jacked up a bit to give enough clearance to remove the pan. The filter is easily removed once the pan is off.
If you've never changed the filter, bring it to a competent AT mechanic to have it done. If it's clogged it may not suck up enough tranny fluid when it's cold and thicker to prevent slippage. If the guy changing your filter shows you piles of clutch material in the pan, don't worry and don't agree to a rebuild; it's fairly normal unless there's a huge amount of metal filings to go with it. Just change the filter, filler up and hope for the best. Should cost around $50 with just a drain & fill.
Bob
Bob Bailin wrote:

I hope Bob is right, I have no knowledge of Escorts. He's absolutely right, however, that a clogged filter and the resultant low pressure can cause slow engagement and slippage.
Just to elaborate on what he said, even if he's right, don't consider that you've wasted your money for a fluid exchange. The "old school" trans service, which is what he's describing, only changes 4 qts. or so of the ATF that's in the transmission; generally 1/4 or less of its total volume. So both really need to be done for a complete service (and most of your fresh fluid will actually remain.)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Thanks. Both were excellent replies. I will decide what and where to go this week sometime. It did upset me that the pan wasn't dropped and inspected inside for some sort of debris and a filter change.

am sure now that is why even the service manager at the local Ford dealer (yes- Ford dealership told me this) told me it was "permanent." I would have paid them to do it so I am really surprised that they just lied like that and turned down an opportunity to take my money. I am wondering if I should report this to Ford Motor Company or not?.

Another "last ditch" try - buy a tube of "friction Modifier" from Ford. It's a real stinky blue stuff designed for positrac rear ends, and it does wonders on sticky and slow valve bodies.

Put innan extra 1/2 pint of fluid and see what happens.
yeppers ... what stony said ... penny wise and dollar foolish now ... up your technology, get rid of your headaches, have your money buy you happiness instead ... try biofuel diesel system next time, much easier to run, longer lasting, and is not suspectable to Bush League Black Chenny money games of sucking you dry and then killing you off like you were a Dutch Jew.
If they heat up the Bio-Fuel tank, it will work in ice country even for petroleum diesel dispite its lower freeze point any where they go ... bio-diesel spill is not an ecological disaster ... it is food that grows mold in the tank ... and needs preventive care that way in the fuel mix.
go buy you some happiness and security on future transport.
Australia will be a biofuel exporter in 2 years if they like, change their whole economy and ecology right quick for the better ... with salt water bio-fuel ponds making 330,000 miles of energy a year for diesel electric cars and trucks ... @ $1 a gallon for ships, derrigibles, cars, trucks, trains, electric plants.
sumbuddie wear blind sea
:?
in article y84ol.12591$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe03.iad, Steve Stone at snipped-for-privacy@citlink.net wrote on 2/21/09 8:03 PM:

shifting. It is so smooth now I can barely feel it shift up or down. It used to knock or step into gear. Now its a smooth slide. I hope that on the next few cold mornings it wont slip anymore. The mechanic even took digital photos since I couldn't be there to see the pan when it came down. Not much debris, just a small pile of sludgy metal powder accumulated on the magnet.
On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 17:36:01 +0000, Chuck rearranged some electrons to say:

That is quite normal.