Bad battery or????? Strange electrical adventure

Page 2 of 2  
On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 00:59:23 -0600, PALMER snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (c palmer) wrote:


I HAVE had an intermittent internal battery link - 2 in fact over 48 years. The first one blew the old rubber-case battery to bits. The last one left me sitting with a "dead" battery - I took it out and put it on the battery tester and it tested perfect. Put it back in the van, with all the cable connections checked, cleaned, and tested - and it worked - untill it died again the next day. Left it in the van and tested it again and it tested absolutely stone dead. Battery was open circuit.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 12/3/2011 10:59 PM, c palmer wrote:

Thanks. All good points to remember. I can't remember the last time I washed a car but under the hood is watched and maintained. The ground cable is near new. Some time ago I peeled back the insulation on the positive about an inch and soaked the cable end in baking soda and water. Still looks good. The battery did a repeat performance today and this time I just slapped the side of the battery and it came back to life. Looks like repairman 54 nailed it. Between the two Walmart batteries I got about 4 years so..., for what I paid I can't bitch.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
F.H. wrote:

All these couch potato mechanics. The batteries are not what they used to be. Manufacturers put newspaper between the plates now. The batteries are junk to begin with. Peel back the insulation? I keep a 2 liter bottle of coke in the garage, once a month I pour some on the battery terminals. I have been doing this for 50 years, I NEVER have a problem with my battery..
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 12/5/2011 3:23 AM, 75yrs.experience wrote:

I don't know about couch potatoes but this n/g has been saving me time and money for years. I had heard of the Coke solution for loosening stuck bolts but not for acid and corrosion.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
(F.H.)

Works good to remove road tar from your windshield :-) My dad always had a large bottle of it whenever we went on long trips. Also worked great on (real) chrome bumpers (the steel ones, not this el cheapo plastic crap).
--
SC Tom


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

by common definition is an alkali - so which one wins out???
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Soda is not an alkali - it's carbonated water -- an acid like phosphoric acid. I put baking soda on the battery terminals. It's chemical name is sodium bicarbonate, a buffer that neutralizes both acids and bases.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Guv Bob wrote:

I put baking soda on the battery terminals. It's chemical name is sodium bicarbonate, a buffer that neutralizes both acids and bases.

I pour Coca Cola on my battery, let it sit for about 15 minutes then hose it off. I never have any corrosion (green crap) on my battery. Never have any problems with my battery.....
You use baking soda, and you have problems.....
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That's good to know. What kind of problems?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 23:01:41 -0800, "Guv Bob"

I put baking soda on the battery terminals. It's chemical name is sodium bicarbonate, a buffer that neutralizes both acids and bases.

a mild one, with a pH of roughly 8.0 - which buffers acids. It raises the pH of whatever you add it to if the pH is lower than 8.0
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yes, I guess I misunderstood you. When you said soda, I thought you were talking about carbonated water.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

When my 92 Explorer was new and up thru maybe the first couple years it did exactly the sort of thing you are describing. I was never able to figure out the cause. It did exactly the same thing while I was parking at a store as yours did. When it would go dead like that it only lasted for anywhere from maybe 10 seconds to a minute or two at most. I can only assume it was the battery since it more or less went away after the original battery had been replaced but it didn't happen often enough to specifically see it stop right at the time the battery was replaced.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 12/2/2011 5:22 PM, F.H. wrote:

First thought: Battery cable connections. You can buy one of those cheap tools that burnish the terminals and wire brush the inside of the connectors and they work just fine.
Take them off, use the tool, clamp them down (don't overdo it) and see if that helps.
Ken
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 12/22/2011 8:17 PM, KWS wrote:

information.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.