Strange electrical problem 206

Hi All ,

My girlfriend has a 51 reg diesel 206 which has developed a strange electrical problem , she mentioned to me last week it has seemed sluggish to turn over when starting from hot or cold and I'd made a mental note to check for a lose wire or something . When she got home from work tonight she turned the car off then tried to start it again to move to a different parking spot but it would hardly turn over , as though it had a flat battery . I went out and checked the battery leads which were all nice and tight then tried to start it myself , she was standing in front of the car and said when I turned the engine over the headlights flickered , I had a look myself and sure enough they were glowing dim-bright-dim-bright as the engine tried to turn over .

I know very little about auto electrics , do you think it sounds like a bad earth or loose connection somewhere ? , anybody have any ideas where to start looking ?.

T.I.A. Cheers, Ron

Reply to
Ron

In the 'good old days' this problem was quite often a poor connection in the earthing strap between body and the engine ( sometimes to the gearbox) however most modern cars have the negative terminal of the battery connected direct to the engine. So no 1, check this is tight at both ends. If you have a voltmeter, put this direct onto the lead (metal not the wire!) parts of the battery and see if the voltage is dropping severely during cranking. If so the fault is in the battery. I have had a bad connection inside a battery once. If this is OK measure the voltage drop in both battery leads. I think your test with dimming lights would suggest that the starter motor is probably OK.

Good Luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your response , I'll try a voltmeter tomorrow . I've just been out to the car now and tried to start it , first go it wouldn't hardly turn over , switched ignition off and tried again and it turned over normally and the engine burst into life ! .

I didn't test for lights dimming with the lights switched on , the lights were switched off but flickered dim-bright-dim-bright as the engine turned over when trying to start it , weird eh .

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Unusual interaction between un related electrical systems on cars is often a strange mix of dodgy earthing and sometimes blown fuse. When also the problem is intermittent, it can be a real bu88er to locate. Good Luck Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Hi,

It may be a bad earthing as said above, or a more vicious cause, like intermittent engine earthing (unbolted ground tape), or a broken battery cable (this giving an intermittent bad wire, with symptoms very similar to a flat battery).

The flat battery is the first thing that comes to mind (even if they tend to fail during winter, it may not be impossible), but it doesn't match with the intermittent good start.

HTH,

-- G.T

Reply to
G.T