Cylinder 1 Misfire

I have a 2000 Taurus SEL 24V DOHC 87k on it, with a rough idle, rough accel. The Check Engine light came on, so I took it to O'Reilly's. They scanned
the computer, coming up with a cylinder 1 misfire. This car has the coil on the spark plug wire. The #1 cylinder is on the back of the engine. Could this just be a bad plug or am I looking at a lot of money for the plug wires and new plugs + labor?? Is it something I could get to under the car?
Thanks in advance.
it could be a bad plug, bad coil, or bad wire. the only way to tell is to replace things. the easy way is to swap the coil/wire with another cylinder and see if the misfire moves to the other cylinder. if it does, change the coil/wire and be done with it. the coil/wire assembly only costs around $40

message
I second that, did the same on a #6 misfire, moved the coil on plug to the #5 cylinder and the code followed it. The code should change from PO301 in your case to PO302 assuming you're swapping with #2 COP. What sucks in your case is the plugs are under the intake manifold assembly, but it's only one 8mm bolt to remove from each COP. Good luck with that.
Scott T. Indresano wrote:

Nice to put that in the title next time, to save all us furriners from having to open it and find out...
Andy

Always start at the plug & work backward towards the ECM.
It was the coil and the spark plug. Both had water in them. Dealer replaced at no cost because we just bought the vehicle.