Cylinder 1 Misfire

I have a 2000 Taurus SEL 24V DOHC 87k on it, with a rough idle, rough accel. The Check Engine light came on, so I took it to O'Reilly's. They scanned the computer, coming up with a cylinder 1 misfire. This car has the coil on the spark plug wire. The #1 cylinder is on the back of the engine. Could this just be a bad plug or am I looking at a lot of money for the plug wires and new plugs + labor?? Is it something I could get to under the car?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Scott T. Indresano

Nice to put that in the title next time, to save all us furriners from having to open it and find out...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

The Check Engine light came on, so I took it to

This car has the coil on the spark plug wire. The

looking at a lot of money for the plug wires and

Always start at the plug & work backward towards the ECM.

Reply to
Shawn

messagenews:7CxRj.87277$TT4.6059@attbi_s22...

I second that, did the same on a #6 misfire, moved the coil on plug to the #5 cylinder and the code followed it. The code should change from PO301 in your case to PO302 assuming you're swapping with #2 COP. What sucks in your case is the plugs are under the intake manifold assembly, but it's only one 8mm bolt to remove from each COP. Good luck with that.

Reply to
sleepdog

It was the coil and the spark plug. Both had water in them. Dealer replaced at no cost because we just bought the vehicle.

Reply to
Scott T. Indresano