2001 Taurus SEL w/3.0L 24V DOHC Spark Plugs?

Hi all,

The manual specifies the plug should be AWSF-32F but the Ford parts dealer gave me AGSF-32F-M.

Is this a valid replacement?

If so, what should the gap be?

Thanks in advance.

- tmarin7

Reply to
tmarin7

i dunno, i had the same problem with my 02 ranger. the plugs that were in it were a different number than the ones ford gave me for replacement (which was actually the same as the f150s, if you can believe that on a

3.0L Ranger vs a 4.6L f150) seems to work fine hahaa (if you can say a 3.0L ranger works fine hahahhaa pos)
Reply to
Picasso

Get motorcraft plugs from a dealer, and check your calibration sticker under the hood for the gap, probably .052 to .056 range.

Sleepdog

Reply to
sleepdog

What you'll find when you pull the plugs is that the original plugs are not all the same. I'm not kidding. It has something to do with the polarity of the voltage sent to the various plugs. The ones that they gave you are probably plugs that will work in place of either of the original plugs.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Aren't the 2.5 V6's in Mystiques set up the same way? two different part numbers depending on which side of the engine they are?

Reply to
El Bandito

I'm pretty sure that's right.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

As a cost-saving move, the factory plugs on many vehicles with distributorless ignition that use coilpacks have platinum coating on only one electrode. On one plug, it will be the center electrode, the other version will be the ground electrode. That is because one coil is used to fire TWO plugs. One plug will be on the power stroke, the other on the exhaust stroke. The path basically goes from ground to center electrode on one plug, through the coil, then from center to ground on the other plug.

Andrew Rossmann

Right. And the way that's accomplished is by sending voltages of opposite polarity to each of the two plugs on the same pack.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Reply to
fordtech via CarKB.com

Reply to
fordtech via CarKB.com

"CJB" wrote in news:Jt7sg.16729$LS6.3796@trnddc03:

Very magical and imaginitive but against the law...the law of physics at least.... someone should get a grip on the basics of waste spark systems before giving the world a tutorial on hocus-pocus ignition delivery...........kjun

Reply to
KjunRaven

You know what, I'm basically repating the descriptions that I've read. I'd be fascinated if you'd explain further. I'm not sure how a spark gap can jump from the center electrode to ground in one case, and jump from the ground to the center electrode unless you reverse the voltage at the center electrode from positive to negative. It would be wonderful if you'd enlighten me.

See, I'm willing to learn, and I've learned a lot just from reading the posts in usenet over the years. The only thing that irritates me is guys like you who rarely if ever post to help people, but are quick to jump on a guy like me doing the best I know how.

Having said that, sincerely, explain how it really works so I'll know next time.

Thanks,

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Voltage is not the same as current.

See:

Page 9 has a very good diagram.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

to #1 plug electrode, SPARK, to ground, from ground to #2 plug ground, SPARK, to electrode and back to the coil pack to complete the circuit. Which ever one is under compresson uses the majority of the current and the waste spark is used on the the other that is on the exhaust stroke. And because the voltage goes from electrode to ground on hafl the plug and ground to electode on the over half they have different ware out rate so Ford put platimum on both electrodes on half the plug and platimum on one electrode on the other half

Reply to
fordtech via CarKB.com

goes to #1 plug electrode, SPARK, to ground, from ground to #2 plug ground, SPARK, to electrode and back to the coil pack to complete the circuit. Which ever one is under compresson uses the majority of the current and the waste spark is used on the the other that is on the exhaust stroke. And because the voltage goes from electrode to ground on half the plugs and ground to electode on the other half they have different wear out rate so Ford put platimum on both electrodes on half the plugs and platimum on one electrode on the other half

Reply to
fordtech via CarKB.com

The two plugs that fire together are connected in series. The voltage goes to #1 plug electrode, SPARK, to ground, from ground to #2 plug ground, SPARK, to electrode and back to the coil pack to complete the circuit. Which ever one is under compresson uses the majority of the current and the waste spark is used on the the other that is on the exhaust stroke. And because the voltage goes from electrode to ground on half the plugs and ground to electode on the other half they have different wear out rate so Ford put platimum on both electrodes on half the plugs and platimum on one electrode on the other half

Reply to
monkeyboy