Is it EGR or PCV or what? 96 Windstar 3.8

There is a vacuum port of some kind on the top of the engine toward the drivers side. Right where the air intake connects to the intake manifold.
What is it?
The reason I ask is because there is a rubber boot that connects this valve or whatever to a plastic tube that goes off behind the engine somewhere. This boot has a big hole in it which I have taped up for now. I need to know what to call it when I go to get a new one. It's a couple inches long and has a 90 degree bend in it. I never got the shop manual for this beast, there's not much I am equipped to do on this van. I think I can handle replacing this boot though...
Thanks for any info.
Tom
p.s. Oddly enough, since I taped this boot up the mysterious coolant loss I was experiencing seems to have cleared up. Could this be related to that? I can't imagine how.

Is it a large hose? probably just the vent for the pcv system... We may need a picture for this one....

You can post if you like....go for it. 1/2 is large BTW.