EGR or NOT?

What are some pros and cons of putting a non-EGR intake on my engine? My state does not have smog tests and this jeep will be mainly used off road, but will be registered and driven ocassionally on the road. It's a 85 cj7 with a 304, cam, 4bbl, msd ignition, headers.

Reply to
HomeBrewer

HomeBrewer did pass the time by typing:

I wouldn't expect any significant difference. Oddly there is no EGR on the

93-99 ZJ 4.0
Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Never seen EGR cause a backfire on decel. EGR doesn't even work on decel. I'd be more suspicious of the air injection system.

Reply to
bllsht

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I don't care what you plugged or didn't plug, introducing exhaust gas into the intake is not going to make it backfire. That is an AIR problem. The fact that you prolly disconnected everything in sight that wasn't found on a

Reply to
Steve G

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

SO should I get the ERG or nonERG intake? What kinds of things will I have to mess with if I get the ERG intake? Will I have to tap into the exhaust tube and run a line to the intake?

Reply to
HomeBrewer

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Bottom line is, if you don't need the EGR for emissions inspection, then don't use it. Most aftermarket intake manifolds that are built with an EGR port will come supplied with a block off plate. Check to make sure yours does if you go that way. Personally, I would buy the nonEGR manifold for myself because I don't forsee emissions testing here anytime soon.

Chris

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Who said I was in Virginia? You're not even close.

Chris

EGR is operated with ported vacuum. Some used a vacuum amplifier with venturi vacuum, but they didn't use manifold vacuum.

I don't know how you came to that conclusion from those pictures. There aren't even carbs in the pics, so you can't even tell how they're connected.

Trust me. You don't want manifold vacuum going to your EGR valve.

Reply to
bllsht

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That's closer, but I actually live in Michigan and use a Wiscinsin ISP.

Chris