Lincoln odometer question

I'm looking to buy a use Lincoln, 2001.

The milage shown on the digital odometer is 5780.

Looking at the odometer, there is a gap, and the number look like this...

5 780

with a small space between the 5 and the 7, so it's conceivable that there is actually a number missing.

Does anyone know if this is normal or what?

The car seems to be in outstanding concition and doesn't look like it has 50,000 miles on it.

TIA

Dave

Reply to
Petey the Wonder Dog

"Petey the Wonder Dog" wrote

Lincoln what? Continental? LS? Navigator? Town Car?

Does it have an English/Metric button for the odometer? If it does, switch from Miles to Kilometers and see what that says. 5780 miles = 9305km

51780 miles = 83365km (in-betweens left out) 59780 miles = 96245km
Reply to
MasterBlaster

That's a brilliant idea, Master Blaster. I'll check on that. And thanks for the numerical figures too.

Dave

Reply to
Petey the Wonder Dog

I bought a 1998 Passat TDi with only 60,000 on the clock. Before I got my money back I found out that it wasn't 60,000 but 140,000 and everyone who had seen it told me that it was in fantastic shape for

60,000.

It's possible that your Lincoln only has 5780 but I would be suspicious without records from the day it was sold showing oil changes, etc.

Reply to
Full_Name

That's a good point which I certainly had intended to look into before secuing a deal. The seller is a Lincoln-Mercury dealer. They should have or be able to get any service records, if done at a dealership, I would think. But we'll see.

Reply to
Petey the Wonder Dog

While I don't own a Continental, there's one other possibility. On startup, I know that some digital odometers will do a sort of diagnostic run along with all the other indicator lights on the dashboard. When everything lights up, you should see a full row of 8's on the odometer for a second or two before the mileage is displayed. If that gap is still there on startup and it happens to be about the width of an 8, then a digit is out. Likewise, if the gap is "filled" when the row of

8's displays, then there's a problem.

Lastly, you could always take the car to another dealer. Have them hook up a scanner to the ECM and see what mileage it reports independent of the odometer.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard