oil filters in Canada

Just wondering if anyone knows if the filters at carquest and UAP / NAPA are Wix or what in Canada?
I'm trying to avoid FRAM filters all togather.
What I want is a WIX filter... i've bought them before but can't recall where. Internet states Carquest and NAPA are WIX, but that may only be in the USA. Hard to find a WIX branded filter here for some reason.
Thanks for the help

Don;t know about CarQuest, but the Napa Gold filters ARE the good stuff.
If you use Motorcraft filters at the recommended interval, you can always tell Ford that you used their recommended filter...
You might be able to save nearly one dollar or so by puchasing an "aftermarket" filter.
I don't give a rats ass what you decide... giving it some thought would be a plus.
I know I could save money purchasing aftermarket filters... Somehow - saving 75 cents or so just doesn't seem to be cost effective.
But what the fuck do I know?

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 04:44:15 GMT, "Jim Warman"

I don't know what you know, but the Motorcraft filters and the Napa Gold filters are likely very close to the same price, depending how and where you buy them - and at one time they WERE identical. Not sure about right now - and that's in Canada - no idea if it is different in the states. I believe both were/are made by Dana Corporation. Purolator has also made motorcraft filters in the past - and MAY still be manufacturing some or all of them in certain markets?
At any rate, either a Dana/Wix or Purolator built filter are reasonable filters, and as Jim says, the dealer filter is NOT overpriced and you know Ford will be happy with your choice in case of a problem.

Interesting side note....
"Back in the day" - this being the 1980's, most of Fords engine line up used the FL1-A oil filter. Back then, IIRC, the FL1-A cost about $7.95 CAD... making it a pretty spendy filter for the day (but still my choice for my own vehicles). At the same time, the also supplied the CFL-1... a "consumer grade" (I guess you'd call it) oil filter that sold for about a buck99... competing with most department store brands at the time. Cutting the two filters open showed the vast differences and the desirability of the more expensive FL1-A.
Now.. at that time, any engine repairs that required the oil to be changed, the oil change was a cost that the customer was supposed to pay (being a "maintenance OP"). When a warranty repair was made with a resulting oil change, an FL1-A filter had to be installed.... Using a CFL-1 would result in a warranty claim being kicked back.
Oil filters are not all create equal.... not even if they come out of the same building/assembly line/whatever. Choose carefully... choose wisely...

Jim Warman wrote:

well maybe i should just go to the dealer then and get the motorcraft filters.
I did see that a 99-00 mercury villager appears to be the same filter as for my wifes 05 honda accord.
Actually, the Villager was a joint venture between Ford and Nissan - with the Villager being a nearly cloned Quest...
Not sure if you have seen this http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html It's been a few years since I last read it closely and it has moved a few times and changed a few times... But I think it is a pretty fair comparison of filter features and things to watch for...
Sidebar.... many years ago, we compared two couches... (here in canada we call them chesterfields). One was on sale at the Brick Warehouse for about $299. It featured a frame made of softwood, cheap springs and padding and inferior covering material. We looked at a similar sofa at a privately owned furniture store. This one was nearly $1200. Top quality coverings, top quality springs and padding and a frame made of hardwood. My last Brick warehouse cocuh had lasted less than two years... My $1200 couch was, after 20 years of faithful service given to friends of the family.... Approaching 30 years of age, it still looks pretty much like the day we bought it.
Now.... somebody reading this might assume that I am suggesting the expensive couch is going to be the best choice. NO!!!!! I am suggesting that if you are going to buy something - cost is only one of many considerations.... ergo... we do our best to perform a cost/benefit analysis and pray like hell we made the right choice.
High price is no assurance that we WILL get top quality... but low price is usually a good indicator that we WONT get top quality.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I guess I was just trying to find an aftermarket filter that i could get one for the honda accord and my two fords (car and truck). maybe ford makes one that is the same as the honda but i doubt it... guess i could go to the honda dealer too for filters.
Who makes Honda filters?

Carquest filters are made by Wix and are one of the better filters. You can do a google search and find all kinds of info on filters.