oil filters

Several years ago I saw a thread here discussing Toyota oil filters vs. the popular Fram filters. I have always used the stock Toyota filter. However, it is a pain to get off and my mechanic keeps "forgetting" to use a Toyota filter. I have a 1984 22r engine. I read in one of these threads that the Toyota filter has a flap inside the filter to control oil flow back into the engine or gunk flow. American vehicles has this flap in the block. Thus the need not to have it in the Fram filter. I have heard that not having this flap allows gunk back into the engine. Can any of you techs out there shed light on this or tell me how to find this thread from way back. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Brad Taylor

Wolfgang

Its called an anti-drainback valve and helps to keep oil in the horizontally mounted filter when the engine is shut off. Why? So that when the engine is started again, the oil filter will already be full so that the oil pessure will build faster. Why is this important? Main reason is that the timing chain tensioner is operated by oil pressure, so low oil pressure = low timing chain tension, which is not a good thing.

Reply to
Roger Brown

It's not "gunk"... the flap prevents the *OIL* from flowing back into the engine, thus draining the filter and resulting in a dry-start every time.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Honda OEM filter is now made by Honeywell or Fram. Would you say Honda oil filter is piece of crap?

So the quality of the filter is reflected by the price you pay.

Mobil tried to sell their filter brand a few years back to go along with their synthetic oil. They touted their filter is 2X larger filter area, so it will last longer. I buy that but never bought a single one. Reason it is $9 which is even more expensive an OEM filter.

Anyway, when was the last time anyone has engine oil related problem (granted that you are just average Joe, not a NASCAR type of guy)?

Fram oil filter is fine. You don't park your car long enough in extremely cold weather to worry about.

Reply to
DTT

A couple of misunderstandings:

1) The flap is the antidrainback valve. Many engines from all makers require this. It does keep oil in the filter, but I think the main reason is to keep dirt from backwashing out of the filter into the sump. 2) No engines I know of have the antidrainback valve in the engine. Many GM engines have the oil filter bypass valve in the filter mount part of the engine. Most oil filters have the bypass valve in the filter. Toyota needs the bypass in the filter, and all filters spec'ed for Toyota engines will have this. 3) I disagree with DTT about the quality of Fram filters. A couple of years ago Cummins had a prohibition against Fram filters because they thought part of the filter was coming apart and damaging the Cummins engines in Dodge pickups. Fram denied this but changed the construction of the filter. You can get a Purolator filter for about the same price as a Fram, or even a Wal*Mart SuperTech, and they look better to me than a Fram. I've seen photos of Frams where the cardboard end caps were glued of center allowing a clear path for oil to go through he filter without going through the filter media, and photos of the antidrainback valve off-center so it couldn't work. Why be so cheap that you save a buck or two on something as important as an oil filter?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Back a few years ago, when my 91 Toy 4x4/22RE had about 85K miles on it, I turned the engine over when leaving the neighborhood Toy dealer parts dept and got a loud grinding noise out of the engine. I had the svc dept check it out and they found my timing chain had failed. After further scoping out by the svc dept, they claimed this failure was 'contributed' to by my not using OEM Toy oil filters.. I do religious

3K oil/filter changes and use Fram filters.. I was hozed to the tune of ~$1500 by the dealer on this failure.. Later I talked to a nearby Toy-specializing shop who told me he'd have fixed this for ~$700 and that he strongly disagreed with the Toy diagnosis. He was a 30+ yr Toy master tech, He claimed there was a problem with some '91 22R timing chains, and once the original chain was replaced, the replacement would most likely be good for the life of the engine.. I'm now at over 150K and still looking good....

Dave

Reply to
Dave Frandin

How could a bad oil filter cause the chain to fail? All I can think of is if the filter allowed the engine to partially seize putting excess strain on the chain, in which case more than the chain would be in dire need of repair.

Reply to
Steve Elmore