Parking Brake Light is almost always on

This is a 1990 Ford F150 pickup. I just replaced one of the parking brake cables that was broke. Before I fixed this, the parking brake light was on most of the time. It's still on. The pedal does not seem to come all the way to the top unless I lift it by hand. When I lift it, the light goes off. The pedal is not coming up enough. It's only 1/4 inch or so.

How do I fix this? Do I tighten the cable more, or is there a weak spring behind the pedal?

Thanks

Reply to
Jeepwolf

There is usually a large spring near where the 2 rear cables split from the front cable. It pulls the front cable to help pull the pedal up. If the spring is good, replace the front cable. You should probably do the remaining cable too. IMHE, there's never "just one" sticky brake cable.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Uh Huh...... You found the problem. I'm an idiot. Or maybe it was the snow storm I was working in...... When I installed the cable. I forgot to put the spring back on down there. I found it in my bucket of tools I used for the job, and didn't put away yet.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Jeepwolf

I was working on a motorcycle on day & after performing a "tune up" on it, I cranked it up & it sounded & ran like crap. Too tired to troubleshoot, I closed the garage for the night. The next day, I found a spark plug in the toolbox top tray next to the screwdrivers & wondered where it came from ????

Reply to
Shawn