poor gas mileage 94 taurus

Page 1 of 2
Hi, I think I am getting a very poor gas mileage on my 94 ford taurus (3.8L). It only goes 340 to 350 Kms on a full gas tank (about 60 liters). Last week I was on the highway and I got 300 Kms for half a tank. And for
the rest half I got only 130 Kms while driving in the city. Should I check for gas tank leaks ?? or there could be some other problem. What is the easiest way to figure out if there is a leakage or not ??
Thanks Markov
If I were you, I would start the engine (have the fuel-lines under pressure) and check for leaks under the car and under the hood. And please don't smoke...
Regards Stefan

Check the actual fuel mileage, don't guess.

Thomas Moats wrote:

Good advice. But, does one really get "mileage" in a metric country? I would think they get "literage" or sumpin'. What do they really say in Canada, England or various parts of Scandinavia?
KPM. Figurer that out.

The correct designation is Liters per 100Km., L/100Km.. It is high time the USA go metric. The rest of the world is Metric. And so is 60% percent of my Taurus and Crown Vic.

Why? The standard systems works just fine.

See Farley response below. I never said anything was wrong with standard system. However, even the British who championed the Standard system has changed to metric. When last have you traveled outside the country? All the stuff USA buys from overseas is coming here in metric. SO, Why continue to fight a losing battle. Ever wonder why so many stuff have been over torqued..? Guys can't differentiate between ft-lb, and Newton-meters. By continuing to use standard in a metric world we are just shortchanging ourselves, period.We need to get with the program.

Why should I blame the Mechanic/Technician.?? NASA recently lost a $4 billion satellite because of this same mix-up with metric and standard. If engineers can screw up like that, can I blame simple mechanics..no way. If the country does not use metric, and the schools do not teach even standard well, much less metric, and the politician makes fun of metric, but we buy Billions of dollars of stuff, made on the metric system, the poor guys are going to be confused. Are you comfortable teaching a class in metric? How is your metric to standard conversion. Ask the people around you, and report back, how many are comfortable with working with mixed Standard and Metric. Like I said, metric is now the defacto unit of choice. When was the last time we saw an engines' displacement published in cubic inches..? Why fight it..we need to get with the program

IIRC we tried going metric awhile back with speed limit signs posted in KPH. Apparently that didn't work. We still have KPH & MPH on the speedometers although for US use it's of no value.
Eric
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Eric Toline) wrote in message

Look again. You don't have "KPH" on your speedometer. They use the proper symbol, km/h.
Gene Nygaard http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Gene_Nygaard/t_jeff.htm But if it be thought that, either now, or at any future time, the citizens of the United States may be induced to undertake a thorough reformation of their whole system of measures, weights and coins, reducing every branch to the same decimal ratio already established in their coins, and thus bringing the calculation of the principal affairs of life within the arithmetic of every man who can multiply and divide plain numbers, greater changes will be necessary. U.S. Secretary of State Thomas Jefferson, 1790
Re: poor gas mileage 94 taurus/ Metric-vs-standard Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Wed, Sep 3, 2003, 7:40pm (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@nccray.com (GeneNygaard) snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Eric Toline) wrote in message IIRC we tried going metric awhile back with speed limit signs posted in KPH. Apparently that didn't work. We still have KPH & MPH on the speedometers although for US use it's of no value. Eric
Look again. You don't have "KPH" on your speedometer. They use the proper symbol, km/h.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Obviously you knew what I meant. So your correction of km/h adds what to the subject at hand?
Eric
Thanks for that URL. Even the brightest amongst us must wonder why life has to be so darn complicated with all that old standard-British weights and measures....and most of all, shake their head in disbelief and ask, why do we continue to use it..?? Even the guys who created it, the British stopped using it Years ago.

In 21 years of training guys at all levels, I never allowed any guy, or gal for that matter, to pass a course with less than a 94% passing grade. I took responsibility for the quality of all guys and gals who I turn loose on the public. Now you know who I blame..!

Why blame your self? You can lead a horse to water you can not make it drink. It is the choice of the person doing the work to do it correctly.

You did not get the point, but I concede victory to you.

Ok, maybe I'm slow. What is your point.

V.B. Mercon wrote:

And that drives me absolutely nuts (short drive).
I don't know how many times I've encountered metric nuts (hex size, not thread) paired up on a standard bolt. What kind of nonsense is that?