Re: coolant loss - 99 Taurus

"tobybul" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Dave, am curious if u ever found leak. I have almost same problem with > my Taurus. But mine leaks year round. No drippings on floor. Engine > runs fine. No residue in dip stick. All hoses look tight and good. > > I smell coolant only when stopped (engine running) after driving a few > minutes. Replaced radiator already. Dealer and another garage cannot > find leak. System pressure test holds. > > Did get it too stop one time after I put Bars Stop Leak but I flushed > it out later cuz I dont like the idea of having that in my coolant. > This is b4 I replaced Rad. > > Help! >

I had similar problem with a 99 Taurus. Turned out to be a hair line crack in the header/overflow tank. The shop I went to was about ready to replace the engine, they suspected a cracked block as they could find no external trace of a leak. Then one of the older mechanics noticed that the overflow tank had a slightly whitened appearnce at the pint where the plasic mounting met the rest of the tank. Pressure testing did not cause a leak, but vibration and pressure would. solution relaced tank, problem gone.

Reply to
axolotl

This car had this cracked reservoir tank problem 2 years ago and I did replace it. Then the coolant loss problem slowly came back a year later. Could it be that the tank is cracked again? Hmmmmm.... I will take it off and examine it this weekend. I am eally hoping that its just that and not anything major. The car runs well. I just don't understand it. Since my last posting, I have checked the area around the water pump, all the hose connections, etc and nothing visible. I even applied a dye and later looked around with UV light. Nothing! I still smell coolant after the engine is running for a while and I come to a stop. So wherever this leak is it must be close to the ventilation air intake. The reservoir is one very possible suspect. Wish me luck.

Reply to
tobybul

Check for coolant dripping from the evaporator (A/C) water drain. Hope you don't find any, because that indicates a leaking heater core - no fun at all to replace.

a stop. So wherever this leak

very possible suspect. Wish me luck.

Reply to
Happy Traveler