Jetta problem with voltage regulator causing transmission problem

I have a 1999 VW Jetta that had a voltage regulator failure, causing a high voltage output that I think affected the transmission shift
solenoids. I say that because the transmission shifted fine before the regulator failed. It's stuck in second gear and I can't get it to shift. Does anyone know which component in the transmission that may have been damaged?
Thanks for your help in advance.
Regards Ross
scan the engine and trans for faults and post them.

That sounds like limp home mode to me. Might not be actual damage. Get any fault codes scanned and go from there.

If an early '99 Jetta may be bad Valve body or harness for A/T--again must check codes including transmission codes. If transmission codes are hard codes-won't clear and you want to try to fix yourself, we could point you toward an excellent book our store, www.SelectEuroCars.com uses to test these. Unfortunately then, when the repair is done, trans fluid must be refilled to proper level and that should be done with VAG-Com, a factory computer or the equivalent.
Don't rule the TCM as it's more sensitive to voltage spikes than the internal solenoids.

On Dec 29 2007, 10:04am, snipped-for-privacy@csonline.net wrote:

I scanned the computer on this 00 jetta 2.0 liter and these are the codes that showed. P0753A Shift Selonoid A Electrical P0758D Shift Selonoid B Electrical P0763D Shift Selonoid C Electrical P0768D Shift Selonoid D Electrical P0773 Shift Selonoid E Electrical P0785 Shift Timing Selonoid Malfunction P0748 Presure Control Selonoid A Electrical
Does anyone know what my problem could be? Do you think it is the computer?
First off........did you buy this Jetta new (10 year or 100,000 mile warranty on engine and transmission) Not sure if it covers the TCM or wiring, but it should cover the trans.
fuse, relay or ground maybe? Does the dash indicator show the proper gear selection?
maybe cleaning up the wiring plugs after that voltage spike. *** did you clear those codes?
I guess I might try driving the transmission with the valve body wiring disconnected to see if that would change shifting of the gears.
I have a 1999 VW Jetta that had a voltage regulator failure, causing a<BR>&gt; high voltage output that I think affected the transmission shift<BR>&gt; solenoids. I say that because the transmission shifted fine before the<BR>&gt; regulator failed. It's stuck in second gear and I can't get it to<BR>&gt; shift. Does anyone know which component in the transmission that may<BR>&gt; have been damaged?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Thanks for your help in advance.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Regards<BR>&gt; Ross<BR><BR>I scanned the computer on this 00 jetta 2.0 liter<BR>and these are the codes that showed.<BR>P0753A&nbsp;&nbsp; Shift Selonoid A Electrical<BR>P0758D&nbsp;&nbsp; Shift Selonoid B Electrical<BR>P0763D&nbsp;&nbsp; Shift Selonoid C Electrical<BR>P0768D&nbsp;&nbsp; Shift Selonoid D Electrical<BR>P0773&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Shift Selonoid E Electrical<BR>P0785&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Shift Timing Selonoid Malfunction<BR>P0748&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Presure Control Selonoid A Electrical<BR><BR>Does anyone know what my problem could be? Do you think it is the<BR>computer?</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=