Jetta problem with voltage regulator causing transmission problem

I have a 1999 VW Jetta that had a voltage regulator failure, causing a high voltage output that I think affected the transmission shift solenoids. I say that because the transmission shifted fine before the regulator failed. It's stuck in second gear and I can't get it to shift. Does anyone know which component in the transmission that may have been damaged?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards Ross

Reply to
rweckerly

scan the engine and trans for faults and post them.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

That sounds like limp home mode to me. Might not be actual damage. Get any fault codes scanned and go from there.

Reply to
Matt B.

If an early '99 Jetta may be bad Valve body or harness for A/T--again must check codes including transmission codes. If transmission codes are hard codes-won't clear and you want to try to fix yourself, we could point you toward an excellent book our store,

uses to test these. Unfortunately then, when the repair is done, trans fluid must be refilled to proper level and that should be done with VAG-Com, a factory computer or the equivalent.

Reply to
selecteurocars

Don't rule the TCM as it's more sensitive to voltage spikes than the internal solenoids.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

I scanned the computer on this 00 jetta 2.0 liter and these are the codes that showed. P0753A Shift Selonoid A Electrical P0758D Shift Selonoid B Electrical P0763D Shift Selonoid C Electrical P0768D Shift Selonoid D Electrical P0773 Shift Selonoid E Electrical P0785 Shift Timing Selonoid Malfunction P0748 Presure Control Selonoid A Electrical

Does anyone know what my problem could be? Do you think it is the computer?

Reply to
rweckerly

On Dec 29 2007, 10:04 am, snipped-for-privacy@csonline.net wrote: > I have a 1999 VW Jetta that had a voltage regulator failure, causing a > high voltage output that I think affected the transmission shift > solenoids. I say that because the transmission shifted fine before the > regulator failed. It's stuck in second gear and I can't get it to > shift. Does anyone know which component in the transmission that may > have been damaged? >

I scanned the computer on this 00 jetta 2.0 liter and these are the codes that showed. P0753A Shift Selonoid A Electrical P0758D Shift Selonoid B Electrical P0763D Shift Selonoid C Electrical P0768D Shift Selonoid D Electrical P0773 Shift Selonoid E Electrical P0785 Shift Timing Selonoid Malfunction P0748 Presure Control Selonoid A Electrical

Does anyone know what my problem could be? Do you think it is the computer?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1