Taurus versus Accord economics

I am thinking about getting a used 2003 Taurus or Accord. The difference for a roughly equivalent model is around 8,000 cheaper for the Taurus, maybe even more. The Taurus has a high rate of depreciation
and the Accord low depreciation.
Given that, is there something else that I should consider strictly from an economic point of view? I know the Accord will be more reliable, but enough to eventually account for the difference in price if I own it for say five years or so with average mileage?
I realize there are other variables, and some of this is a matter of personal taste, but I'm wondering if I can make an business case for the Honda Accord. I would have to do this to convince my wife to spend the extra money. : )
Then again, Taurus's seem like pretty nice cars as well. The other advantage is that I could get at 2001 or 2002 Taurus and save even more money, but I don't like the pre-2003 Accord as the lack of telescopic steering doesn't make a good fit with my long legs.
Fred
Fred Smith wrote:

I don't think there's any reason to assume a particular Accord will be any more reliable than a Taurus. In fact, if you Google around, you'll find that late model Accord automatics have hardly been trouble free. I can tell you from experience that getting a rattle/buzz/cluck free Honda/Toyota/Nissan,etc. is just as much a crapshoot as any other maker, including Ford. If _you_ want the Accord, just tell her that!

I was in the same situation two months ago. I was shopping for either a used Taurus or used Accord. I spent few weeks of looking at local news paper ads, looking at Consumer Reports and going to Ford and Honda dealer lots. I finally bought a 2003 Taurus SEL at a Ford dealer for $12.3k. This car is loaded with equipments (24V-Duratec engine, sun roof, power pedal, leather, side air bags, 6-CD changer, key pad, etc.) It has 20k miles and is still under warrantee till Jan. 05. I also checked out Accords at a local Honda dealer. A same year Accords Ex will run me $17k. I saved $5k by buying a Ford. Is the Taurus as good as an Accord? Of cause not. But my plan is invest my $5k saving and use it to make whatever repairs it need down the road. I think in 10 to 12 years I plan to keep the car, I will still be ahead of the game financially. By the way, my family and I love our Taurus SEL. It is a nice driving car. I don't even have to worry about it being stolen. If you do research, e.g Consumer Report, Micrsosoft Auto site for used cars, the current Taurus has a decent repair record. Good luck.
Steve