True Overdrive?

I have a 1983 Mercury Grand Marquis, I guess it's just an AOD transmission.
I've heard people tell me both ways..... so I'll ask here:
Is the "overdrive" truely an overdriven gear? Or is it 3rd with a locked
torque converter?
Nic
The only gear in an automatic transmission is park. They are fluid driven, there are no gears.

What do you suppose a planetary gear set is? An automatic transmission has at least one.

As cute as you think your answer might be, it has nothing to do with the op's question. Although there may be a "planetary gear set" it is NOT "gears" as the op was inferring..

WHO was the original clown with the "cute" answer ?
The world refers to transmissions (auto or not) as having "1st gear, 2nd gear", etc. Yet, you chose to get semantical and provide zero value to the thread.

The answer is not "cute" it's accurate. Why don't you read all the posts in this thread. I answered his question correctly, you did not even come close.

A plantetary gearset is most certainly composed of several gears. In simplest form, the center (sun) *gear* with usually three or four pinion *gears* meshing with the sun and an outer, internally-toothed 'shell' *gear.* They may be helically cut, but gears nonetheless. The hydraulic portion of the transmission serves only as 1) lubrication, 2) torque transfer/multiplication in the converter, and 3) manipulation of the Simpson powertrain's (compound planetary *gear*set) members via various clutches/bands to provide the drive, driven and held members necessary for the various reductions and OD multiplication.
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 06:02:52 -0700, 351CJ wrote:

--
remove 'spamsucks' from mail addy for replies.
I fart in Darl McBride's general direction.

Thank you, the ratio was more than I needed to know. But thanks anyway. :)
Nic

Yes, it is an overdrive 4th gear ratio. The converter by the way is not a locking converter.

Well, you have made a lot of posts here... you seem to know what you're talking about as far as I can tell. So, I think from now on, I will beleive that my transmission has an overdriven 4th gear ratio without a locking torque converter.
It's too bad we can't assume every once in a while what one is talking about, instead of getting extremely technical on what the webster's meaning of certain words are... such as "gear"....
Thanks, Mr. Moats 8-)
Nic

Your welcome.

The Ford transmission all have a locking converter as well as an overdrive gear, in both their current 4 SP and 5 SP automatics.
mike hunt
Robotnik wrote:

uhhhh...... I might be missing the point..... but I don't think my transmission is "current"
Nic

NO, the AOD is a direct-connect (the converter is bypassed by a long shaft through it) to OD planetary to driveshaft in OD(4th "gear"). The converter is just along for the ride in this mode.
Rob * * *
Not quite, the converter housing drives the direct clutch giving you 3rd and fully mechanically linked. When you are in 4th there is a 60/40 split of torque, 60 percent of the power flow is thorough the direct clutch the other 40 percent of the power flow is though the turbine of the converter. There is no overdrive planetary, the AOD uses one compound planetary.

Mike, we are talking about the AOD, it does not have a locking converter. Now, All CURRENT automatics offered by ford have locking converters, up till 94 not all did. The Tempo/Topaz did not. The 91 Crown and it's sisters did not ( any car or truck with AOD sold 91 and earlier ). The C6 was still offered well into the 90's, it did not have a locking converter. I don't believe the Asian ATX had a locking torque converter.

I know. I should have added that his does not have the locking converter. I was attempting to covey that it does have OD, but I type fast and only spend a few minutes in any NG. ;)
mike hunt
Thomas Moats wrote:

Your responses are the cutest......smile.. :-)..!

Overdrive is truelly overdrive. The output shaft is spinning faster than the input drive. However, what is more important is that the car's engine is spinning more slowly, which reduces wear and tear and gas consumption.
Jeff