Wierd Radio Problem 99 Taurus

The battery in my 99 Taurus died so I replaced my it. Since then the radio and time display is messed up. It displays fine when the key is set to accessory or when the instrument lights are turned on. When the car is running without instrument lights the display is blank yet the radio works. I've checked all the fuses. There may be separate fused connections for the display but I would assume that the ignition switch would use a common fuse whether the key is turned to accessory or run. A separate fuse could handle power when the instument cluster is on. Any ideas ?????

Reply to
AJ

So, if the car is in drive with the headlights and dash lights on you can see the radio display? There is not more than one fuse for the lamp. Usually, radios will have a switched high power hot wire and a low power memory wire. Does your radio allow you to set and save the time and radio stations? If not, the memory wire does not have power.

There was also an issue with some tauri of that vintage with a bad MLP switch on the trannie causing some radio problems.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

The radio presets are fine and the clock keeps good time. The odd thing about it is that when the car is turned off and you switch the key back to the accessory setting the display operates just fine with or without the dash lights, The only thing that I can think of is a separate connection point in the ignition, one when the key is on accessory and a duplicate when the key is turned forward. When the battery initially died I had to close the car up while I went for cables. I had enough juice in the battery to very slowly close my power window. As the power slowly drained with the window closing there were several loud relay like clicks from the colunm and the wipers started. The fact that the wipers were turned off at the time was another odd occurance, however I wrote it off yo a "Ford" thing. As of right now everything is fine except the display on the radio.

Reply to
AJ