96 Taurus radio muting while in gear

Help, I have a 96 taurus with a factory am/fm cass. When I put the car in gear (rev, drive) the radio cuts out. Sometimes it will come back on, sometimes it won't. Also sometimes the power steering will become difficult, when the radio comes back on, everything is fine again. This started out as an occasional problem, but it is now happening more often, where as the radio will stay off (the radio stays on, but no sound)and not come back on. The power steering only cuts out once and a great while. I've been working on cars most of my life but have been away from it for the last couple of years, and I don't get the connection between the radio and the power steering. Looking at the fuse box I noticed a fuse for the radio mute. I pulled it, and haven't had a problem since. Will doing this have any affect on the electrical system, or any other component, also what is the radio mute for and what caused it to malfunction in the first place. Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated, thanx in advance

Reply to
mommado

Believe it or not, the MLP on the transmission can cause this problem. Change the Switch on the transmission and see what happens.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz