Black Oil following Serivce

Hi all
Can someone tell me if it is normal for your oil to go jet black following my car running for approx 4 miles after a service. I have a focus TDCI and it was the first service it had - 11200 miles. It
just seems a little weird that the oil would change colour so quickly. Any enlightment greatly received.
Regards
Nick

Yes it's normal - if you get used engine oil from a diesel on your fingers (not recommended - it'll take days for the staining to wear off!!), you'll understand why the small amount of old oil left in the engine after draining turns the new oil dark so quickly - it has similar properties to black dye.
Cheers, Mark

I can't comment on the Focus TDCi specifically but I've previously owned a couple of diesels for a total of ten years and the oil does blacken very quickly from new.
If you said you had a petrol engine then I'd be suspicious but even before reading your post, I knew with reasonable confidence from the subject line that it would be about a diesel engine.
--
Paul Giverin

This is rather disconcerting, but perfectly normal! I remember on my TDCi's first service, it was reasonably clear after driving about a mile up the road to work, but after the 30 mile drive home it was black. My Astra DI was the same. Mind you it burnt about a litre and a half of oil between services anyway! In case anyone asks, my TDCi burnt about half a litre before its first service, and nothing noticable after that.
G.

That's fine, you should start to wonder if it wouldn't get black pretty fast. It just shows the capability of good oil keeping dirt in abeyance.

A diesel engine will turn its oil black quickly.
Timothy J. Lee