Can someone tell me if the problem is my battery?

Hi all.

I have a 94 Sentra XE. Recently when I park, turn the car off and listen to the radio for more than 5 minutes, my engine won't start and I need to get a jump. If I listen for about 3-4 minutes, the engine barely turns over. I assume I need a new battery? I haven't had any other problems at all.

Thanks.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Burke

Radio's don't draw enough current to pull the battery down in 5-10 minutes. It's likely a combination of problems. First of all, I suspect that your battery is a goner, get it tested. Secondly I suspect that something else (a short?) is pulling the battery down when the key is in the position that you use to listen to the radio.

Best,

Phil Sharkey

Reply to
Phil Sharkey

have you cleaned the battery terminals (i mean, have you taken the cables off and cleaned the terminals & inside the clamps)?

assuming you have checked the liquid level in the battery (unless it is uncheckable), is the battery voltage over 12 volts, as measured at the posts? have you measured the voltage at the battery with the engine running to ascertain that the alternator is functioning properly?

a simple "load" test on the battery can be performed by checking the voltage on the battery posts (not on the cable clamps) with a voltmeter while someone cranks the engine. if the voltage falls more than a few volts, the battery is in question.

if the battery is good, you may need to replace the starter.

Reply to
okr

When listening to the radio, make sure that the rear window de-mister is turned off

This is probably the highest current consuming accessory, maybe 20 amps

Radio probably draws just 1 amp (I'm assuming here, we're not talking about some mega boom box ghetto blaster 43 speaker system !

Otherwise, what all those other guys who got in and posted before me said,

HTH

Spam-block in action

Catherine Jemma.......(Keeper of The Gem of Amara) Outback Western Australia .... snipped-for-privacy@agn.net.au.knickers

(Remove knickers before replying)