1995 Chevy Lumina 3.1 Stalls and does not start anymore

I was driving this car and all of a sudden, it surges kind of like it putters where it dies and then it goes and then dies (I am getting whiplash doing this). Eventually it dies at a stop usually then it
takes a couple of starts after holding down the gas pedal then go into gear.(My head snaps back usually). Today, it finally decided it did not want to start up at all. Its not getting gas at all it seems and I hear like a loud thud come from the exhaust as it blows through. Any ideas what can be causing this?