87 Pontiac Bonneuville Surging

Hi, I just got this car from my great aunt. It's got 107K miles on it, and when idling or accelerating from a stop, it surges, and occasionally dies. Once moving, it goes ok, but doesn't accelerate strongly. If I
stomp it, it will rev, but not beyond about 3500 rpms. It feels like a fuel pump issue to me, but does anyone have any experiences/opinions on it?
Thanks! Tom
What is the fuel pressure when this hppens, how long since the fuel filter was changed, any codes in the computer?

I don't know the fuel pressure yet - have to get a gauge to hook it up. I doubt the fuel filter has been changed, and I'll probably change it as it's cheap and easy. The Computer code is 34 - Mass air flow sensor - voltage too low. Could that be causing the problem? Should I replace the MAF Sensor, or is the low voltage an electrical problem vs. a sensor problem?
Thanks! Tom