automatic transmission won't engage

I took an engine and tramsmission out of an 87 full-sized van and put it in my truck but now the transmission won't engage. It worked fine in the van. The fluid level on the dipstick looks good, and I let it
run in gear for a little while so the fluid would circulate.
Thanks
Bolt the fly wheel to the torque converter?
Are the two transmissions/vehicles compatible?
Is the linkage properly adjusted?

Yes the flywheel is attached.
I used the engine from the van so it is compatible.
Yes the linkage is correct.
Possible the flywheel is different and has pulled the convertor out of the engagement lugs in the trans pump?

-

If he changed the engine and tranny as a unit, the flywheel and torque convertor should be the ones that came with the combo. Are they, amigo?
And we'll assume that the driveshaft coupled up perfectly (or halfshafts, as the case may be).
I think I would try to readjust the shift and throttle linkages manually one more time, carefully, before going deeper.
The flywheel and tourque converter are the ones that came with the combo.
Yes the driveshaft coupled perfectly.
I will double check the shift and throttle linkages one more time.
Thanks
No matter how bad the linkage was adjusted it would do something in some position, but true, easier to check than assume the worst. Hope we find out what the problem was.

-

Most likely, but one point is to approach it systematically and be sure...at every step... that you have cleared the way to the next step.
Although it is unlikely that the tranny went belly up during the transplant, even that is possible.

upside down, like when replacing bottom-end engine components like seals, gaskets, even bearings? Is it a Ford van? s
The van it came out of is an '87 chevrolet.
And no it was never turned upside down. I did almost no work on the transmission so it sat on the floor of my shop for the couple months that it was out of the vehicle.

Did you put a new tranny filter in it when you installed the tranny? If so, are you sure you got the old O-Ring out of the hole where the filter plugs in? Did you get the new O-Ring properly seated before you pushed in the filter? This can cause a common obstruction.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I haven't replaced the filter in the transmission. The pan never came off the bottom of the transmission so there sould be no problem there.