Banzai! - Toyota's best month yet

Page 1 of 2
Detroit Free Press http://tinyurl.com/3839hq
Toyotas U.S. sales rose 14% to 269,023 vehicles in May compared to the same month last year for an all-time monthly sales record.
The increase was driven by both fuel-efficient cars and the new Tundra full-size truck, launched in February. Sales of the Camry, the best- selling car in the United States, increased 16% to 50,126. The Prius, the best-selling hybrid in the United States, was up 196% to 24,099. The new Tundra pickup more than doubled the sales figures of its predecessor with May sales of 17,727.
..Toyota Motor Sales executive vice president Jim Lentz: Despite the industrys shift toward passenger cars, Toyotas all-new Tundra hit an all-time high in May. As for hybrids, the markets appetite continues unabated, with Prius also establishing an all-time record.

Quit Trolling George. Abuse complaints to GigaNews will not go un-answered.
That article should have said all time high, for the Tundra. GM and Ford sell more trucks in a month than Toyota will sell in a year. Toyota truck sales in 2006 were a measly 5% of the market. GM was 33% Ford 32% LOL
mike

You're right Mike. When you're starting at zero (no sales)... and then you start selling, all of a sudden you can report radical jumps in sales.
Let's see how they're doing a year or two from now.
I hope I'm not wrong, but I can't imagine trade people working on Union jobs driving ToJo Pickups.
willy

You probably never expected Volvo heavy trucks either, did you?
What do you expect someone to do when they are handed the keys to a Toyota on the job? Did they balk at being issued a Ranger/Mazda for light duty?
Mike is old, he will probably be able to weasel around "Ford still outsells Toyota in ..." until he dies. Toyota is overtaking each of the benchmarks.
Retreating to only the heaviest trucks fr sales comparisons is like Mercedes moving further upscale when Lexus started encroaching on their turf.

I finally saw a new Tundra in the parking lot at work today - complete with the hard bed cover, 20 inch chrome wheels, and a bug deflector -a real hard core work truck. Just another poser. Toyota should do well in this market.
Ed

I think it is called " giving the customer what they want "
If the Detroit 3 ( can't call them the Big 3 anymore) did that, then they would be profitable now.
Sucks to be playing catch up.......

I agree. Toyota is trying really hard to catch up to the big three in trucks. And for the poser truck owner the new Tundra is probably just fine.
I don't understand one thing - when Ford and GM build big SUVs and trucks that Customers want, they were criticized for selling large planet destroying vehicles. When Toyota builds an over sized cartoon truck, they are praised for " giving the customer what they want." If you leave out the hybrids (which I find interesting), the rest of the US Toyota product line is headed down the same road to excess that people criticize the big 2.5 for. Camry - latest model larger, Scion xB - new model to be much larger, RAV4 - latest model much larger, Highlander - new model to be much larger, Tacoma - current version much larger, Tundra - new model ridiculously large, Sequoia, new model to be much larger. Toyota quality - down, most recalls in 2005 and 2006 of any manufacturer. Why are they getting a free pass for heading down exactly the same road as Ford and GM? Seems to me that Toyota is doing a damn good job of catching up - in the wrong direction.
Ed

"I don't understand one thing....."
Ed, I'm thinking that there might be more than " one thing " you don't understand.....
What's that? Does he not know that GM, Ford and Dodge sell more trucks in a few month than Toyota does in a year? ;)
mike

In other words, you can't answer Ed's question, so you result to an insult.
C. E. White wrote:

GM, Ford and Dodge would NEVER offer such a thing! <G>
Oh, the humanity of it!
GM, Ford and Dodge have been building trucks that good and better for years. When Toyota says Tundra is changing everything they are referring to the Tundra catching up to the industry. The problem the Tundra has, is like their cars, they are overprice compared to the others ;)
mike

I'm guessing you mean " overpriced ". If they truly are overpriced then the marketplace will force them to correct or they will go out of business. Very similar to the trouble that the Detroit 3 find themselves in today ;)
People must find better value in Toyotas ( I know I do ) than some of the other brands. That is why they are so popular.
Why ever said Toyota buyers were astute buyers? What was it Barnum said about one being born every minute? LOL
mike

You are, once again, and as usual wrong....... proof of that can be found at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There 's_a_sucker_born_every_minute
So much of what you know, is just not so...... LOL

Why do so many of you Toyota-Nuts have to bitch so much about spelling? Try having a good conversation, as opposed to worrying that someone misspelled a word or two.
80 Knight wrote:

No complaints with the car. <G>
Popular Mechanics Magazine had an article comparing five of the "full-sized pickup trucks"
I was shocked to see "price as tested" in the $40,000 > $50,000 range.

<rj>
Mike Hunter wrote:

See that, Ed?
Even Mike says hard bed covers, 20" chrome wheels, and bug deflectors make a great truck! <G>