Banzai! - Toyota is #1

(1) driving.ca

Toyota Motor Corp. edged past General Motors Corp. to become the world's biggest automaker by sales volume in 2006, leading industry paper Automotive News said.

The Automotive News Data Center, which publishes a widely quoted annual ranking of the world's automakers, said Japan's top carmaker outsold GM by about 128,000 units, with 8,808,000 units, when stripping out commercial vehicles built by a GM affiliate in China. GM sold

8,679,860, the paper said.

==========

(2) Rising Sun

The Emperor is pleased.

Reply to
Rising Sun

I read that yesterday. GM was trying to cheat. Funny enough!

Reply to
GO Mavs

Does this really matter? For many many years GM was #1 in volume, but definitely not near #1 in quality of design and manufacture.

Reply to
who

Says you.

Reply to
80 Knight

And you are an idiot.

Reply to
80 Knight

I take it you own several thousand shares of Toyota stock?

Reply to
PerfectReign

Depends on who's doing the counting. Toyota was number one in recalls in

2006, however by any count. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Which automaker was number one in recalls most often since recalls began?

Reply to
Ray O

yeah tell that to the 07 Camry owners with a transmission problem!

Reply to
EdV

By that implication, AMC must have led the auto industry in quality in

1974, when it boasted the lowest recall rate. Chrysler accomplished the same feat a few years later and bragged similarly.
Reply to
rantonrave

I was thinking today, as I often do...

I remember when I was a kid, and GM outsold EVERYBODY in the world, all across the globe.

In the 80's their market started dwindling to North America. Now it is mostly North America with a few sales around the globe; Cadillacs actually sell a few units every year in Japan.

Now, even the home market is abandoning the brand.

Toyota has almost always sold world-wide, and it has taken them till this year to top GM.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Well, interestingly, the biggest market for Buick is ... China. They sell more there than in the US. China is also getting GM cars we don't -- a rwd Buick Park Avenue, an extended length STS called the SLS...

Reply to
Lloyd

OIC, more recalls is a good thing when its Toyota and not so good if it is any other manufacturer, right? LOL

The fact is, if one follows the surveys as the percentages they actually are rather than as the list they are reported, every manufacturer today is build good quality, long lasting vehicles but they all have some that are not up to snuff. That average among all manufactures fall into the same 2% margin, that is why they all offer a warranty, even Rolls Royce. Now that Toyota is selling in the millions with the big boys, rather than just hundreds of thousands as they did for thirty years, more of their 2% are becoming more obvious LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I didn't know that Rolls-Royce ever had high reliability, and neither do most RR owners.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Except that the average is 125 per 100 vehicles, which is 61,500% higher than 2%.

What do you mean with the big boys? Now? What company sold more cars around the world than Toyota last year? None. Toyota was the biggest auto maker last year.

In 1990, Toyota sold over 1,100,000 vehicles in North America. It has been selling in the millions for many, many years. By 1980, Toyota was producing more cars than there were cars produced in the US; Toyota was the second largest car maker.

You seem to talking like Toyota is a small company, that has only recently been making large numbers of cars. Not only has the company been producing 1,000,000 cars or more for the US market for around 20 years, it has been bigger than Chrysler, Ford, DiamlerBenz, VW, BMW and Volvo for at least 27 years.

Toyota has been one of the big boys for more than 30 years.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Only in your small world is 125 'PER' 100 vehicles, 61,500% higher than 2%.

I would suggest you do a search of statistical averaging and educate yourself on the subject on which you have chosen to comment, but your too lazy. You prefer to believe what you want to believe LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That is about what we would expect from you. Apparently do not know a lot of things, based on what you post in this NG every day. LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You're correct. It is 6150% higher. I made a mathematical mistake - I was off by a factor of ten. Thanks for pointing that out.

2% * 62.5 = 125%. (Something is twice as high as something else is 100% higher. Something that is 62.5 times as high as something else is 6150% higher.)

You have a lot of nerve calling people lazy when you're too stupid or too lazy to inline post.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Only in your small world is 125 "'PER"' 100 vehicles, 6150% higher than 2%. Keep trying, your an educated man, you will figure it out eventually LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Many people are followers. I got my first European car in 1958. I gave up GM in 1981. My last was a GMC Van.

Toyota may have very good quality, but not the vehicle I need. Honda's CR/V is on my short list.

Interestingly both the base Honda CR/V and Camry have wheels I would not be caught driving with and me not big on fancy wheels. The base CR/V wheels are just ugly steel wheels without a hub cap. The base Camry has ugly steel wheels with a flimsy plastic hub cap. Obviously they are trying to discourage purchase of the base model. With both vehicles going up one level gets me into features I don't want, so I would have to buy the base and change the wheels. Add $1,000 to the price!

Reply to
who